announced about 5 min ago STEAM OS !

The whole reason you should use Steam is marketing. Bringing your project to steam means getting it out to millions of users which, in turn, will earn you a whole lot more than selling it to 100 people and keeping all the profit.

Not trying to offend you or anything but £1.000.000 is a VERY unrealistic goal, even if your engine looks good. I’ve seen fantastic projects not get funded when asking for 1/3 of that. Your plan sounds solid but asking for that much would be overestimating your own product.

if you make a good convincing demo video for kickstarter, you may get a few hundred thousand dollars tops.
A million pounds is almost two million dollars.
Look at how much Leadwerks made to port their engine to linux and make it compatible with blender:

I have to agree that it is unrealistic. A game engine is not just the real time rendering side of things. You need other modules to create a game. You need to already have a commercial game using it to prove it works. making an engine and 2-3 games to go with it sounds like an unrealistic goal for one person.

I do understand what your saying, Maybe i should of made it more clear. Aimimg for £1,000,000 is the long term aim (maybe over 12 months). The first stage will be funding the basic rendering engine, Stage 2 Interface and GUI, etc etc. And to be Honest ive always thought the Leadworks engine is a bit naff, Looks like a top line engine from 2003. Im surprised they even got that much funding for the first stage conversion. Ive speced out the system with all needed systems beyond just the rendering nature, but with next gen the rendering engine is the de-facto outcome that needs to be cutting edge which is why it’s the focus right now (except AI, Which i just love playing with idea’s. Trying to work on an AI system that can use real world video capture or Depth camera tracking to evaluate human response and prediction movement). I know it’s the top of the line scenario but look at GTA 5, Made Near a billion on the first day of launch. You can always drop prices, but you can’t just stick them up.

Linux and open source with highly commercial Steam. I don’t know what to say.

… That opensource can easily be commercial and that what Steam and Linux have in common is the facilitation of distribution?

It makes sense for Valve to try and keep it’s consumer base well fed and large, and by promoting Linux, they’re trying to create an enviroment where the consumer base can handle the latest games without having to pay for the newest version of the closed source OSs