Anomalous thrust

Abstract - Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum

This paper describes the test campaigns designed to investigate and demonstrate viability of using classical magnetoplasmadynamics to obtain a propulsive momentum transfer via the quantum vacuum virtual plasma. This paper will not address the physics of the quantum vacuum plasma thruster (QVPT), but instead will describe the recent test campaign. In addition, it contains a brief description of the supporting radio frequency (RF) field analysis, ssons learned, and potential applications of the technology to space exploration missions. During the first (Cannae) portion of the campaign, approximately 40 micronewtons of thrust were observed in an RF resonant cavity test article excited at approximately 935 megahertz and 28 watts. During the subsequent (tapered cavity) portion of the campaign, approximately 91 micronewtons of thrust were observed in an RF resonant cavity test article excited at approximately 1933 megahertz and 17 watts. Testing was performed on a low-thrust torsion pendulum that is capable of detecting force at a single-digit micronewton level. Test campaign results indicate that the RF resonant cavity thruster design, which is unique as an electric propulsion device, is producing a force that is not attributable to any classical electromagnetic phenomenon and therefore is potentially demonstrating an interaction with the quantum vacuum virtual plasma.

As XKCD puts it, if you put 28kw of energy into something, (no matter how close to a vacuum (bear in mind it can’t be a real vacuum)), you expect it to move at least a little big. XKCD made it more funny, so here you go:

Also, it output, in the biggest test in your sample quote, 70 micronewtons. How long would that take to accelerate something (ie a 10 gram object) to walking speed in a real world? Probably a couple of decades.

But then I’m no super-post-grad-theoretical-physicist, so I suppose my opinions on anything to do with sentences involving ‘quantum’ are irrelevant.
However, I did do a little on relativity in first year, maybe quantum comes in fourth…

Thruster that does job is good. Good that the scientists are on track.

Attachments

Physicists have been suggesting that physical interaction with the fabric of spacetime is occurring. Being able to thrust off of it might lead to being able to detect and measure it. That would be exiting. :slight_smile: