Another AI hit piece that nobody asked for (from a software dev perspective)

I recently saw this video:

It’s by Dr. Károly Zsolnai Fehér on the channel “Two Minute Papers”.
And it made me reflect on like 30 things, some of it I will share now, to maybe lift people’s spirits, or at least get people to create a somewhat realistic and balanced worldview in their brains.

In the beninging, in the...

Yeah… we start here.
This was showed to me with the sentence “What do you see besides “thing”.”.
I looked at it for, I’d say a minute straight.
This (for those uninitiated) was an image generated by an ai (as far as I know).

I said “Well considering that AI can detect words I give it a year before this becomes public, and another before I can run it at home.”. And the others agreed, a convo started, ect.

I was off on the timeframe but the order was correct.
Then came:

Neural networks! and the power of being lazy

Neural networks are like our brains but WAY simpler.

The gist is that there are layers

, and those layers contain “neurons” that have connections to each other trough the layers, they also have weights. It also requires a SHITLOAD of data to train, and I’m talking terrabites, not to mention processing power and time.
Complex topic, do research, it’s fun.
The thing to know now is “ai brainDMG, time passes, ai genius”.
People start to become aware of this tech and how it can be abused.

DALL-E, GTP, and every single person with a 3050ti

Have you heard of craiyon? OpenAI's text completion AI? Safe to say, Neural Networks picked up steam. People are running evolution simulations for fun on a 1050 for crying out loud. People started to experiment with it.

“If this ai can complete sentences, it can complete images too right?”
“Wait this is just photoshop on steroids.”
“We need to filter out NSFW material.”

Stable Diffusion and the "Rest of the fucking owl" phenomenon

Stable Diffusion works a bit different. The exact inner workings are, naturally, more complicated but the gist is that it generates noise and tries to "fix it" to match your prompt?... or something along those lines as far as I'm aware. But it allows you to give it a drawing and tell the ai to "draw the rest of the f owl", or "diffuse the rest of the f owl".

Running it on my machine

...what? It's good. Not perfect or finished in any way, shape or form... but that's the thing. I should give a bit of a background so you can have an ide of who I am so:

Me!

I'm a person who thinks that life is meaningless and nothing matters, but if that's the case... why not do something with it? Create meaning. Come on, I spawned in crying, I might as well leave this plane of existence laughing. I like to live. Not a hedonist though. I don't drink, don't go to parties, ect. To me they're useless. I like to push myself. IT, 3D software, heavy machinery. Bring me to a factory and I'm like a child in a candy store. Show me something complex and the first thing I do is see how it works.

Perfection, and why it's unattainable

One of my teachers said "No matter how much time you spend improving your code, god is the best designer, by far. And look, he designed the idiots."

Dr. Károly Zsolnai Fehér said “I don’t see this as competition, but as collaboration.

And I think they’re right. I felt it on my own skin. I have a friend that likes to screw with things, and the first thing he does to my works is try to break them. It’s the funniest thing.

Sure, you can generate amazing things with it… but it won’t understand what you want exactly, not yet at least. And even if it did, the outputs are still not going to be perfect. And people have a habit of nitpicking.

Sure, you might be able to mass produce stories, but the itch at the back of your head will not go away, the feeling of “something’s missing/off”.

Nothing is perfect. It’s a good goal, perfection… but not something we can have.

That is where we are needed.

So... where does this place us

My view is that the workflow will be easier, and people will actively seek out hand crafted things.

“Woah, people won’t do that. What cloud is your head in?” I hear ya.
But deepfakes were this “ominous threat” 2 years ago, and now that people use it to produce memes with it, more people will be aware of it, and more people will be skeptical. You do the math.

There are dark ages and golden days. These are cyclical. Some might say 2016 was a high point in humanity’s history, but at least in the history of the internet. Humanity was not ready for these things. But we seem to be able to adapt. 2030 will be a turning point, as I view it. Good? Bad? No one knows, but stable for sure.

Some closing thoughts

If I'm wrong about something, feel free to correct me. Also:

I’m closing/merging this thread, quoting @Fweeb here (who closed an essentially identical thread yesterday):

As for the actual topic at hand. There are quite a few other threads already in existence on this topic. If you want to continue to discuss your opinions of a world with machine-generated art, I suggest you jump into one of those threads. I’m going to close this one.