Another Booleon Issue (Overlapping Faces over the hole)

A few days ago I asked about another issue, and I got that fixed thanks to a very helpful member, but then I realized I have yet another issue! I’m still a newbie to Blender, so bear with me. D:

The issue is that one of the Booleon holes I created (one at an angled portion of the mesh) did not “complete” and thus it has a face hanging over on the top, and also one on the bottom.

I tried applying another Booleon to try to remove those faces to no avail. Anything else I have tried just makes a mess of the faces and it looks awful. Any advice? Any simple fix?

sharing the blend might be more assistive for assisting. However I think scaling or rotating the cutter would help.

I’m not sure what you mean by scaling or rotating the cutter?

Also, here’s the Blend file:
shawm1.blend (2.0 MB)

welp
that mesh is a proper nightmare.

checking for holes is a big part of my workflow. And also dealing with doubles.

this mesh is beyond repair. So much happening with it that is unable to be understood.

I tried remaking it with less problematic
shawm1_1.blend (2.2 MB)

your cutter looked like that.

causing that.

:sob:

Well, thank you for taking a look.

As I said, I’m still a brand new modeler. I only know a few techniques to create things and am trying to be better. I created this using a curve, which I straightened and then and then subdivided and used alt-S to sculpt out the right shape. The top part of it is, as you could see, a different curve that I added on. I used the “Solidify” modifier to thicken it inside. I used Fill to fill in the gaps on the top, as on the instrument. I don’t know much about filling, but everytime I have Googled it that’s the only option I have gotten. I tried figuring out how to make the faces that were Filled more orderly, but I couldn’t figure it out, so what you saw is what it looked like just from the Fill operation.

The Booleon operation created the tone holes.

I didn’t really do anything other than that and it’s a disaster. D:

and you were right about the cylinder I was using to Booleon. I’m not sure what happened there. It was just a standard cylinder when I created it.

i think you did the operation in reverse, saw the result wasnt the desired result, then did it again. Possibly duplicating the mesh in the process. Sometimes I ponder how such issues happen.

I had a look at it to see how simple it would be to fix. There are numerous issues as people have already pointed out. There are about 1400 duplicate vertices hanging around (vertices sitting directly on top of or very near other vertices). Fix these by selecting everything, hitting M and choosing By Distance.

Then there are flipped normals. You can see these by turning on the Face Orientation overlay from the Overlays Panel. Blue is good, red is flipped. Fix by selecting all and hitting Shift+N.

To be honest though the problems are too numerous for an easy fix. Watch some videos on Youtube on boolean clean up… practice with some simple objects - like a cylinder with maybe just one hole… and then when you grasp it, rebuild your model from scratch. You will learn a lot more than way and avoid the frustration of battling with an already doomed mesh.

Alright, well I am careful enough to save separate Blend files before making major changes, and I actually do have a Blend file of this before anything much was done. No conversion to Mesh, no Fills, no Solidify modifier, and no Booleon modifiers.

Is there anything wrong at this point (the top joint being too long aside)? I don’t want to scrap it completely. :frowning:
shawm.blend (636.4 KB)

I’ve never used curves before, so perhaps I didn’t handle it carefully enough.

That should be fine. Just think ahead. In the Curve Properties you have a value in Geometry>Bevel>Resolution. At the moment you have a value of 32. There’s no “right” number to put in there, but just be aware that when the Curve is converted to a Mesh your circles will have 68 vertices. This might be too many. It might not. It all depends on your workflow further down the line. It’s probably too many if you are planning to use Subdivision Surface modifiers on your final object. A value of 14 in there would convert to circles with 32 vertices, which might make things more manageable when doing Boolean cleanup.

Turning on the Wireframe overlay while the Curve is still a Curve can help you work out how the Resolution of the Curve’s bevel will translate into mesh geometry