another dumb question!

fortunatly I don’t ask too many…I finally got rid off my millenium n’ got xp, but I’m having trouble telling blender where to get the textures from…[in my case,“my pictures” folder]…I tried file paths, in blender, but it kinda ignores & forgets…thanx in advance…as usual…johnd

Are you pressing Ctrl+U to save the user defaults? :wink:

ok…thanx, now it’s remembering, but still not getting image textures, only procedural ones…at least it tells me the name that the tex was, then I have to go get it…as usual…johnd

You mean it won’t load images?

they are files w/ image textures that were assigned to them, when I open them, there are no image textures, blender used to remember them.

better put the textures in a d:\my project\Projectname extures\ dir.
( and the blend file in the d:\my projects\Projectname\ )
The whole C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\My Pictures\ thinking of microsoft is a bit silly once you want to share or use more then one machine to render.

johnd:

these kinds of questions are related to “Blender General”,
please check where to post next time…

cheers & welcome to Blenderworld :slight_smile:

if the image is in a different folder than where it was on the old setup blender will not be able to find it.
There are two ways around this:

• Pack the textures - this puts a copy of the picture inside the .blend file. Good for giving the .blend to other people.
  • Use relative paths - put the texture in the same folder as the .blend and use “//picture.png” as the path to the picture. You can also use “//textures/picture.png” or whatever.

As for your old blends that were broken by the switch, I’m afraid you’ll have to fix them by hand.

ok…sorry about posting question on wrong place, like I said I don’t do this very often…thanx loads for the feedback…as far as packing textures w/ files, mmm sounds good, I guess I’ll figure that one out one of these days…I guess I won’t be just poping old blender files in the new machine just to see how they render etc., not w/o planning on working all the textures again…it does remember most of the tweaks to the tex & the name…thanx again…johnd

Packing a blend file couldn’t be easier … just select File -> Pack Data. The Unpack Data selection also appears in the File menu (top header bar).

ok…yer right, it does seem pretty simple. I’ll assume that it is only taking a copy of the tex. & not removing it from my files…?..I don’t think hooking up my old machine to open my blend files & “packing” each one,considering I have well over 300, is in my future…it does fine once I open the file & go get the tex’s again, it remembers them in this machine fine…thanx again…as usual…johnd

just in case someone else has this problem…I disregarded the "sharred doc’s etc, made a “my documents” folder in “c” [my main drive]& moved “my pictures” folder to it, that seems more familiar to blender, it does go get the textures now, even for the older files…thanx …johnd

Yes, eventually with Blender I think the wisdom becomes making everything go straight to folders in your C; drive. seems to make things easier. I never did get Microsoft’s C:/programs and documents/folder/user data/blah blah blah blah/desktop