Another Glass Question - Apologies

Haven’t found a thread / web page that details the specific scenario I’m attempting. In the game EVE Online, the ship Reaper has an orange glow inside of the cockpit along the cockpit screen edges. Utilizing the eve communities fan built exports, I have the ship and a somewhat correctly applied uv map. Correctly enough for my purpose. The issue is trying to recreate that glow from the cockpit. I want it to glow through the glass and reflect on the bars that exist just outside of the ship. Pic 1 zoomed in game on photoshop, Pic 2, what I’ve got so far. I’ve increased the intensity to insane amounts, losing the color of the glow but still no reflection on the ship. And yes I have the transparent shadow checkbox on the objects in question.

Reaper.blend (1.4 MB)

not related FYI - love this new forum type - seen it also on Eve community. Who provides it?

Updated blend file. The glare on the window only shows up in a particular angle but none of the light escapes to bounce on the outer ship. Using translucent because it helps create the glow effect. Transparent i can’t get the same ordeal.Reaper.blend (1.5 MB)

It looks like an effect that might be seen if the glass was fairly dirty and much more dirty at its edges where it would be hard to clean. Would a roughness map not diffuse some of the light?

Obviously this is artistic license and was never a realistic thing to begin with. You’ll have a hard time if you count on some natural phenomenon to replicate the glow.

I’d probably add this in compositing, or go in with a textrure mask and an emissive shader and cheat.

Do y’all mean that blender doesn’t allow light to pass through and reflect on outside objects? how is it different when doing a room with sun light? This is just the opposite isn’t it? Not sure why I can’t get the same effect?

Of course it does. I didn’t say it would be impossible, just that you’d have a hard time.

The effect you see is a typical lensflare and is added in post in most renderers if not all. I don’t even think Blender has any native lensflare options.

First, don’t use glass shaders in objects that don’t have volume (thinwall effect).

In this particular scenario you have two options:

1. Using a lamp inside the cockpit to illuminate the glass.
    it’s a bit difficult to setup good materials (you’ll need good understanding of ray types); you’ll need a mix of transparent/translucent/glossy.
  2. Using an ‘emitive glass’ to fake translucency, which is faster to render and produces a noise free surface with very little samples.
    In both solutions, you’ll need a texture for mixing the translucency/emission with the transparent, to mimic that dirt accumulation on the edges of your windows.

The material setup can be something like this:

2 Likes

What is “Thinwall Fresnel”? It doesn’t appear to be a group node, and anytime you’re mixing glossy in with something (transparency or refraction using incoming for thinwalled - you tought me that trick :wink:) using fresnel, the IOR needs to be inverted for backfacing faces. Or in this case, you’d get snells window on the inside of the cockpit looking back out.

If possible, I would bake out the translucent effect and use it as emission. Until now, I’ve just faked the translucency (lamp shades etc).

It’s a python node that I have… it’s the same thing as the setup I use in the linked SE thread about Thinwalls. :wink:

What is a “python node”? If OSL, are you able to use OSL and adaptive subdivision at the same time? Last I tried, even UV coordinates got messed up, as well as IES lights failing.

Lol, I only read the first post there (actually, only looked at the image) and didn’t understand the point :smiley:

I was attempting #1 but it seems like the previous posts alluded to your option #2 as the more favorable. Thanks! I’ll go back and see if I can apply this.