Another old man sculpt

(Larssonklaksson) #1

Hi

This is just a little sculpting excercise.
I could really use some feedback as to what should I improve on the head before I turn off the symmetry and proceed with the finishing details like wrinkles etc.
Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks

(alf0) #2

nice work!!!

(yakuzakazuya) #3

Looks great to me. :+1:

(Larssonklaksson) #4

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I will attempt the retopo then. It will be the first time for me so we’ll se how it will goes. By the way, seems like the Bsurface addon hasn’t made its way to 2.8 yet, so it will take a bit more manual work.

(grumpyestonian) #5

This looks really good! I’m far from an expert, but the anatomy looks very convincing to me. I do have a few suggestions, if you don’t mind. Hopefully you haven’t gotten too far into retopo, although these may be fairly easy fixes that could even be done afterward.

1. I think the eyes may be placed a bit too low on the head. This would include the eyebrows and bridge of the nose. The mouth and tip of nose look right.

2. Honestly, I think the ears still need a lot of work. There is a big difference in accuracy and quality between them and the rest of the face. Ears are notoriously complicated and hard to figure out. (Just wait 'til retopo on those…) Reference, reference, reference. That’s the best advice I can give for that.

3. The eyeballs appear (to me) to be sitting too low in their sockets. The top eyelids should come down almost to the vertical half-way point of the eyeball and, in resting against the eyeball, should protrude further forward than the bottom lids. I hope that makes sense.

4. There may be a small issue with the corners of the mouth, but not 100% on that.

5. This isn’t related to the face, but it was one of the first things I noticed: The collar. The two sides are very different from each other. Asymmetry is good, of course, but in this case, they appear to be completely different shapes. The asymmetry should be present in their positioning and wrinkles/folds, not the shape itself.

I hope you don’t mind my critiques. Like I said, this is very, very good, overall!

Can I ask what your render setup was for these shots? At first, I thought it was a matcap, but then I noticed the shadow. Also, how did you accomplish the rounded cut-off at the bottom?

(Larssonklaksson) #6

Thank you for your feedback. It is certainly highly appreciated! I agree with all the points and I glad you mentioned it, as I would probably never noticed some of them myself. Hopefully I’ll get some time to fix it tonight.

The pictures are no renders - they are indeed a matcap. Just screenshots right from the viewport. The shadow can be enabled from the shading options. I don’t use it for sculpting, though, just turned it on to “show off” the model. You can also notice the shadow is disabled on the first screen (with the hat).

As for the cutoff - a simple boolean with approprietally shaped object did the trick :slight_smile:
Thanks again for the critique.

(grumpyestonian) #7

Cool, thanks for the info! Are you using 2.8? That would explain why I didn’t know about shadows- haven’t made the leap yet. :slight_smile:

(Larssonklaksson) #8

Yeah, I’m using the 2.8. It is still a bit rough around the edges, but usable. Mostly.

I did the retopo and it was surprisingly quick and easy. I certainly expected it to be a bigger pain. There is still some tweaking and smoothing to do, but it’s mostly there.

Unfortunatelly it seems the multires is still somehow bugged in 2.8 as it creates weird artefacts when switching the levels. I see if I can work around that or might need to wait until its fixed. Now that beta is nearly there the bugs might be getting squashed at a decent pace.

The raw tolpology:

With lvl3 multires:

(Larssonklaksson) #9

I’ve fixed (hopefully) all the weird artefacts that showed up, added some details and I think it’s ready for texturing.

(Larssonklaksson) #10

I’ve been struggling a bit with the texture paint since the buttons have been moved all over the place in 2.8. Few times I thought there are various bugs, but nope, it was just mine ignorance.

Here is the first shot at the skin. It’s not great, I haven’t even started tweaking SSS settings, but it’s a start.

(grumpyestonian) #11

I think the skin looks great so far! I have absolutely zero experience with skin texturing, but I don’t see any problems at this stage.

(Larssonklaksson) #12

First shot with materials. I’m not quite happy with them yet.

(Larssonklaksson) #13

Getting close. I’ve adjusted bunch of things, added some details and light postpro. Sill, it seems like it’s missing something.
It screams unfinished for some reason, but I can’t put a finger on it. Probably because I’s staring at it way too long.