Another 'paste flipped pose' armature problem

Hi, I’m pretty new to Blender, I’m on a game internship, and I’ve been stuck on this problem for days now. I’ve got a problem with pasting the flipped pose on my armature of a huskie, damn near essential for a walk cycle. I’ve tried proper bone naming and the ‘ctrl n’ thing not to mention aligning the mesh and armature globally and locally and still I’m tearing my hair out in frustration. Every time I copy the initial pose and try to paste flipped pose, it just goes all wonky and I just can’t sort it out. Could anyone please take a look at the .blend file attached, try pasting the flipped pose and help me so I don’t become completely bald? I’d be forever grateful. Thanks.

Sambad

Oh, I just tried to upload the file and for some mental reason it doesn’t allow .blend files even though it’s a blender forum. Could someone possibly let me email them this file to look at?

I know the problem. Flipping usually includes Z axis flipping. It happens to me all the time…
peace
Drew

Hi, I’m not sure what you mean, could I please send you the file for you to look at? Thanks.

Sambad

What I saw was that it would anly work as expected if the skeleton, with a 0 rotation, is facing forward (on z), so in other words Y is up. you can still use the object rotation after it is set correctly in edit mode.

Post it to 4shared.com or one of many other free hosting sites, then post the link here.

Mike

Thanks Mike, you’re a lifesaver. Thanks as well to Drew and bookeater too, unfortunately this didn’t work either though.

Sam

Sam,

Don’t call me a lifesaver before I even do anything :slight_smile:

Anyway, you didn’t post the correct link. After you upload your file, you should see a list of files “explorer style in a window”, click on the file name and another screen will appear, in the middle of the screen, under the ‘General’ tab should be a box with a ‘Download link’ . Copy that link and then paste it here.

Mike

Hi Mike, sorry about that, can you tell I’m new to this? Here’s the link:

http://www.4shared.com/file/5402938/626f7a63/huskieweightanim70.html

Thanks man,

Sam

Can someone please look at the file in the link above? I looked at all the other threads and tried everything they’ve suggested to no avail. I’ve been stuck on this for a week now and it’s seriously slowing down production. Failing this, can anyone suggest another good forum to post this on? Thanks.

Sambad

One problem is the wrong naming convention. The bones need to be named
Arm.L or
_L, _LEFT, _left, or .Left.

Then I’ve resetted all bones (cleared locations and rotations). Now it works.

And don’t forget: You need to save the location and rotation for all bones with AutoIK. The IK is assigned only temporarily.

Uh, and one other thing: you need a root bone somewhere. I’m not sure how a husky walks, but I assume it also makes some up- and down movement…

And the next issue: The right shoulder bone is not connected, but the left is.

Hi Soylent Green,

Thanks a lot for the advice, admittedly the file I sent you didn’t have the bones named correctly or the ‘rolls’ sorted using ‘ctrl n’, but I did try these things and they didn’t seem to work. How would I go about clearing the rotation and location for the bones? Also how do I save the location and rotation for all the bones using auto ik? Also, it seems to me that the r shoulder is attached to the armature just like the left, but so far I’ve been wrong about pretty much all of it, so can you please also tell me how to attach the r shoulder and what to attach it to. One more thing, I thought I could just move the whole armature up and down, but I need a root bone? How would I go about creating one?

Could you also please teach me how to breathe? :wink: I know I’m being really crap here and I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Sam

So I may be better off to post the corrected file :slight_smile:
To clear the rotation and location of bones select them and press Alt-R or Alt-G respectively.
There are some other issues with the rig, some lost vertices for example. And I’ve never animated an animal with four legs before, so the movements I’ve inserted may be quite wrong.
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/180816/huskie.zip

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH! You truly are a lifesaver, thanks for going through such time and effort to help out, if there’s ever any help you need, please let me know.

Sambad

Hi there,

One question regarding the root bone you gave my huskie, is it possible to move it up and down? At the moment it seems that it will only rotate from one end.

Thanks.

Sambad

Yes, of course. You have to disable AutoIK temporarily to move it up or down.

Thanks a lot Soylent, nice one.

Sambad

One other thing, though this is an animation question but is directly related. I went to frame 10, turned auto IK off, moved the armature up via the root bone, locked the rotation etc, but when sliding the time slide along, the inbetween frames aren’t filled in with the root bone movement, unlike rotations and movements with the rest of the bones. Now with 3ds max, this meant that there were unneccessary keys that needed deleting, but (as you know) I’m a complete amateur with blender. Is there a way I can solve this problem so the animation doesn’t jump up suddenly at frame 10?

Thanks,

Sam

This shoudn’t happen. Do you have any other keyframes for the rootbone?
If you post the blend, I will take a look at it.

Thanks Soylent, but the problem seems to be fixed already, I don’t know how but I’m not complaining :slight_smile:

Sam

Actually Soylent I’m sorry but it seems I do need your help after all. I’ve been having to painfully animate frame by frame because it doesn’t seem to want to fill in the inbetweens for me. Here’s the link to the file below, I’d be so grateful if you could help me out again:

http://www.4shared.com/file/5774416/aee657d7/huskieweightmessedupanim85.html

Thanks,

Sambad