Another Test Fight

I’m really not sure about this animation that I’ve created. I looked at it over and over again, but I think it’s missing something. I was trying to create a short for the purpose to make a knock down believable. Once again, I’m going to need some suggestions on this.

So, once again, is this video believable enough?

Re-render with a camera angle which actually shows whats going on… then people can give you more useful suggestions.

Here it is again from a different view.

shouldnt this be in tests?

You’re right. I posted this in the wrong thread. It definitely needs to be moved. Until it happens, I still world want to know if it’s believable enough that the Red Character took a hit.

I think the problem is that all motions are the same speed - strikes are fast, reaction to a hit is slower

I did create this animation from a video clip I saw on Youtube. So is there something wrong the speed?

There’s a line between real life “believable” and interesting. What you need to do is study the basics. Then re-approach this animation with some of those principles. The animation doesn’t have to be fully realistic; in fact, realism can make it worse. That’s why mocap characters often move like robots and aren’t very interesting to watch. There’s a whole discussion on that as well.

interesting article xabotage. I think that is a significant factor in cg that I’ve sensed but not thought through before

I think what walshig is saying is that the fight is too choreographed; the red character lifts an arm to block a punch as soon as the other character throws it. It is as if they both know where the other is going to strike. This often happens in martial arts fights in movies and TV shows since the actors must reherse a fight scene over and over to get the moves right, thus losing all spontinaity to the fight.

The red character needs to react to the punches since she is not supposed to know where they are coming from.

React how?

React as in not throwing a block in sync with the punch being thrown. If this were a real fight, the red character would not know which punches were being thrown (from the left or right). As you have it now, the red character knows even to duck before a kick is thrown. She needs to move and react after a punch is thrown, being a little behind the blue character’s punches.

Right now it just looks like a choreographed routine. As I stated above, many fight scenes are poor references because they have no spontinaity to them-just choregraphed dance routines.

Ok, so how do you remedy this? Should I let the red character get pummeled?

i agree with @drew99 to some extent… my opinion is that the first few attempts are blocked correctly. a good fighter will be able to predict what his opponent will do based on their posture, i suggest you watch this karate fight. notice how each fighter quickly predicts their opponent… oh and also notice even though it looks fluid, there are slight pauses as soon as strike hits and the hit areas, react by slight spring back.

its a good start to your fight scene but could be vastly improved with the hints from the video

Yah I too agree… and I think Reactions… when we start talking Animation and not just Martial Art… then we are talking about Timing… Now if your trying to recreate something like the History Chanel’s Human Weapon Animations…

Then using Animation technique may not be appropriate… however if you want to see the motion… then you may have to do some additional work…
Some times the problem with real life is that things can happen so fast… we don’t even know exactly what just occurred…
Thus… we need to do some thinking… as Animators… or movie makers… (remember that what we are tying to do is help the audience understand what we are trying to show… ) if they ‘miss it’ then we have failed to deliver…

Several ways to accomplish our Goal of a clearer understanding of ‘what just happened’…

1. a Different line of sight… if something is blocking our view of seeing the action at hand then we can’t see it to begin with…
    Don’t rule out Above and Below Angle shots, if it makes the action clearer…

2. Use Instant Replay… the nice thing about movies is we can skip around in time… Show what just happened… then instantly show it again… like the ‘instant replay’ in sports… “Hey lets see that again just to make sure we saw what just happened…”
    It’s like when you see something you can’t believe you just saw in real life… your left standing there asking the question… “Did I just see what I thought I saw?” With movies we can give the Audience the… ‘Yes’ you ‘Can’ see it again…

3. Speaking of Time… slow the motion down… use slow motion… so that everyone can see just exactly what is happening… with time enough for them to process it… combined with multiple shots you show a slow-mo Bullit-time shot AND you can show the shot at real time speeds (that may be so fast we can just barley perceive what just happened…

I know you have seen countless movies that use this…
So… there yah go… that’s what you need for this…

:eyebrowlift:

As always, this is going to take a long to master. Hopefully, I could master this in a year or so.

I think it’s a fantastic start (character animation is always extremely difficult to master, no matter what…).
However, besides the critiques mentioned by others about the lack of delay between strike and block, my only major critique is on the (roundhouse?) kick at the end: instead of convincingly making contact with the red character and knocking her down, the blue’s leg seems to pass through red. It may simply be an illusion on my part, but I would go back to the animation, get really close to the characters, and frame by frame watch the leg to see if it’s ever inside red’s body. You definitely don’t want any “ghosting” because it is an instant and dead giveaway.
Other than that, I think the speed is very good. Again, this is a great start on something very difficult.

Yes… after re-reading my last post… I hope I didn’t discourage… some of the first time animations I have seen have been really awful… this one… though it needs some work, is definitely not Awful… so keep kicking it (pun intended) and don’t stop now… your almost there…

I decided to upload the same file again with motion blur. It’s not much of a improvement and still have the same moves.

the motion blur helps it. but it looks like it could use a lil more shoulder and torso movement with the punches and kicks. That might help nulify some of the stiffness