anti aliasing in the gameengine?

First of all your still gona have to wait until we get normal mapping and good lighting implemented to do a demo (when I say demo I mean a demonstration of any kind, not specificly a game demo) on that kind of level.

What do you mean the game is a Xbox360 title??? are you working on a homebrew or sumtin??? Or are the big publishers coming to use blender now :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea I get what your saying now man. For your purposes it makes sense, but for everything else its stupid.

but for that purpose he isn’t alone… :slight_smile: I make my money with architectural visualisations, and being able to bake radiosity and lights, and then make a walktrough would be just great and would save soo much time.

youngbatcat - maybe you could simply run the game engine on a double resolution by now and then rescale the animation in some video tool(blender sequencer) if the realtime shadows would be re-enabled in blender(like it was in tuhopuu),or there would be some other way to do that, i would be thinking about going this way too.

on a note
batlefield 2
hitman blood money
halflife 2:episode one
all by default is set to 2x aa

gpu is the way of the future!!

>>> What the hell makes you think it can pass up a CPU??? hello! cmon man, be practical.

a) machinima style fast previews (like opengl preview render blender has already, but with GE features which can’t be baked)
b) take a look here: esp. features like render to bitmap/render to video (with RT shaders)
http://www.bitmanagement.de/products/bs_contact_vrml.en.html
http://www.bitmanagement.com/developer/contact/relnotes70.html
c) full-blown renderer hybrids like gelato exist to cut down rendertime

If AA is too slow for (average/complex) games, then it’s a problem with blender, and that problem needs to be fixed.

anoncompboy: Why don’t you fix it?:slight_smile: I’m not trying to be rude, so don’t take it that way (I am being pleasantly sarcastic, however…). You make it sound like something very easy to do.

In all reality, we must accept one thing: Blender is not some corporate controlled program where programmers are paid for their work and given goals and deadlines that must be met or they get fired. Let’s all say thank you to people like spike1907 who generously donate their time and be a bit less blunt in our criticism.

spike1907 is right: AA is too slow for most applications (though I would personally love to get 25fps standard on my dinosaur of a machine). However, the rest of you are right as well–it should at least be an option. The architectural walkthrough is a perfect example of a good application for AA. Face count is usually much lower than a game, and if you know it’s only going to be viewed from one PC, you can install whatever hardware is necessary to get the speed up. As for games, though…

spike1907: Let them have it and decide for themselves that it’s too slow. That’s the only way some people learn…

The BlenderGE can be used for something else other then “games” AA would be a great addition to product visuals.

why don’t you solve this and give the developer the choice wether to put it on or off…

btw: Counter-Strike: Source runs on a low 30fps without AA so blenderGE with AA on a 20-25fps…thats hardcore!

Jacco;

create a scene as complex as a CS level, and tell me how that works.

Oh guys btw. Its been a while since I posted on this, but currently AA is imposible in GE’s current rendering pipeline. AA is possible if turn it on in your hardware but that is it.

I know how to do it in GL, but I would require more work then it worth it to almost redo the entire graphics side of the GE. Snailrose would be done implementing Ogre before I would be able to finish.

What guys should be wasting your time on is learning freaking GLSL!!! Its the best thing to happen to the GE so far, and It seems like im the only one getting creative with it. Im not talking about implementing the shaders in the demo files into your games. You should be thinking up new and creative shaders!

How is GLSL so great? What has it made possible that wasnt before? All i’ve seen so far is lighting and toon shading - toon shading is pretty cool if you’re not making a realistic game, but lighting was already possible before GLSL.

I dont mean to be an arse here, but most of the 2.41 graphics demos were a joke. The water lily scene made me laugh. I didnt see anything new. Just a few specular shines.

Yes you are being an ass. And its because glsl wasnt being used to its full potential, why dont you take a good look at the pictures and videos of my GLSL shader that implements freaking HDR base lighting, then tell me that GLSL does nothing!

Dude do you know that GLSL is not just blender specific. GLSL and HLSL and Cg are the three most used and most powerfull shading languages around theses days. There are not many good demos, because nobody submits good demos!

Here is a lil list of things off the top of my head of things that you can use GLSL for if you have access to the render buffers.

Stencil Shadows
Soft Shadows
Volumetric Shadows
Dispacment Mapping
Voumetric Rendering
Specular Bloom
Realtime Reflection
Realtime Refraction
Procedural Rendering
“True High Dynamic Range Lighting”
Unlimited number of dynamic light sources, instead of a 9 light limit.
Ambient Occulation
Motion Blur
Depth of field
Lens Flair
Anti-Aliasing
Kernel Filters 3x3 to whatever size you wish;
Global Ilumination

and a crap load more that I cant think of at the moment. Does GLSL impress you now!?!

wow, glsl is god. do you know where any good, easy-to-understand tutorials may be? after that magically delicious list of functions, i’m sure there are many who are eager to learn the blessed shading language…

Hey spike1907,

Do we have access to the render buffer? If so maybe if you have time you could quickly explain how, id love to have a go at ambient occlusion and specular bloom:D and just in general thanks for all your effort.

Unfortunatly access to the renderbuffer is almost impossible with the current state of the gameengine. I could give a go at it, but Snailrose would still be finished with Ogre implementation first (which is going very well)

Hey Spike, just writing to tell you that you are doing an amazing job. Its being a pleasure to see all your demos, the game contest demo for example (shoting plataform).

And yes, GLSL ROCKS! Some people just forget about how dificult is to be a non programer and make a demo in other plataforms like Ogre or Irlitch or Panda or… wtv. Inside Blender Game Engine things really happen in real time, even creation! People used to forget about it. You can built a lot of amazing things whithout writing a line! And if you are able to just use a script the result is: a great reward.

Of course we have light inside gameengine from a long time. But GLSL brings other dimension to it.

And its ridicoluous to talk about Anti alising if we don’t have a nice demo using realtime projected (stencil) shadows.
Google Schetch up have this “feature” and it makes all diference: doesnt matter how good our textures or lines are. What really adds deep to a scene is shadow. This is true because we are faking shadow using textures :slight_smile: .

Not to mention a lot of other issues… I don’t want to write a book over here. I saw a lot of people :smiley: on Blender. But that was because they were happy, having fun, able to reach things they saw only in their dreams :wink: .

Translation:

That’s exactly what you said.

I still haven’t seen anything new GLSL has brought to blender. Can I see these pics and videos? That’s all I’m asking for, I just need to see something before I start praising it and claiming its god. I’m not being an ass here, I’m just telling the truth. What frustrates me is that people keep praising GLSL’s effects, and I would like to use it, but I have yet to see how it can benifit my game. I want to know what the hell it does! All I saw in the GLSL graphics demos was shiny stuff and toon shading!

oh man… looks like im going to have to learn glsl ( i doubt it though )

Ok well the thread for my HDR shader should still be on the front page of this forum section. And that all those features in the list are possible if you have access to the render buffers, which is currently not possible in blender, but ogre integration will change that big time.

LMAO I absolutely love how we brought a 9 month old thread to top again :stuck_out_tongue: