Any advanced tutorials??

so it seems like although there are plenty of tutorials that tells someone how to move a cube, i would like some more advanced tutorials. if i want to make a cube move on a flat plane, well thats pretty easy, i can use logic bricks or use python, but if i want to lets say make a 2d car game then theres no tutorials that can help me learn how to make smooth movement up and down hills (just an example). but what i don’t get is that i see every now and then (although not very often) a rather good game, for instance blender mario galaxy. what i want to know is how do people learn to make good games, yet i can’t find any tutorials that go past making a cube move forward on a flat plane.

There are plenty of good tutorials, but not of course the generic:
“how to make an AWSUMZZZZ game”
In fact, you’re best off thinking of a game concept, then making a game dd
Then, for each probem that you come across, search it on google!

well yea, heres my problem i’m trying to make a game, or actually for now just the movement, of a skateboarder on a halfpipe. i can’t find anything on how to make smooth movement up and down the halfpipe. i can’t for the life of me find a way to do this, with or without python.

If you could explain to me what a half pipe is, i may be able to help.
Because of the specificity of this problem, you would have to think about how the movement works, and thus what factors affect it, such as gravity, friction, then work out how to calculate it in python.

Since making a game varies a lot from game to game its hard to make a tutorial that explains how to do things. The most that people can really do is make a tutorial that familiarises someone to the engine - how to move an object, how to play an animation ect. Its up to you to tie all these little things together to create the effect that you want.

As for how to make some smoother motion, if you look at the following image and assume that the red cube is the actor and that the green arrow is the direction that you are applying force in:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/5848092365_c9ea375858_b.jpg

The situation that describes what you are doing is most likely the first diagram. You are probably applying force along the horizontal. Your actor won’t move up the pipe very smoothly if its being pushed into the pipe.

You will get much smoother motion if you apply force perpendicular to the ground’s normal, i.e, along the direction of the pipe. As described by the second diagram.

The direction to apply force can be found by taking the cross product of the normal to the ground and the local +x axis of the object. The normal of the ground can be found by casting a ray along the global -z axis, starting from the object’s centre, unless you want to do loop the loops in which case you might want to think about using casting along the local -z axis.

As andrew said there is countless ideas for different games and it can just be hard to get a tutorial of one. But I am sure that there is one out there.

thanks for the tips andrew, actually i was trying to get something like that, however i can’t figure out how to send a ray and return the face rotation. could you by chance show me some of the code that you might use to do that?

getHitNormal()

LightBuld,

There’s no tutorials available for everything. Sometimes you just must do it by yourself in hard way.

A years back, I was asking a help(tutorial) for the BGE flight model for the airplane game/sim.
At the end I finally get it… I do it by myself or just forget a whole thing.

okay how exactly does that work?

how would i use getHitNormal() ?? would i type something like this?

variable = getHitNormal()

or

getHitNormal(variable)

i’m trying to find out how to do it on google but so far no success.

Darn it, that was psuedo code. Ill post on your other thread

The attached .blend demonstrates my explanation in my other post.

Attachments

force_perpendicular_to_normal.blend (607 KB)

greatly appreciated i’ll have to figure it out tommorow, but it looks like that should help a lot.

Here is a pretty helpful site for help with python coding for the game engine. I am no programmer but have managed to figure out some pretty cool stuff thanks to this site:
http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/GameFunctions/GameLogicPage1.html
It doesn’t have everything though :frowning:

thanks, i actually use that a lot.