Any character animation tutorials you can recommend?

I’m trying to learn character animation, specifically humanoids. I began with a walk animation but noticed that my walk is dull and has no personality. Do any of you know of websites or Youtube videos that teach and talk about this topic?

I’d love to learn more about how to swing my arms in different ways in order show personality…among other things.

Thanks!

Film yourself?

Thanks for the reply but I’ve been doing that. I guess I’m looking for talks that explain the theory behind more unrealistic character animation…the way Pixart or Blizzard do it. Here’s an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y6aVz0Acx0

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about thanks!

1 Like

Sadly he is no longer with us.

That’s too bad, he seemed like master. :frowning: I’ll find more of his lectures.

Fantastic link there. :+1:

What exactly do you think your work is lacking??? If you’re roto-ing yourself, maybe act REALLY cartoonishly, outlandishly so. The “emotional” part of that link seems to have the principles you need.

Here’s my advice on doing walk cycles (or anything really)

Step1: Learn the basics (like in the link you provided) of a “vanilla” walk cycle. Like for example, you usually wanna start with a 12 frame walk cycle, you wanna know about offsetting the hips and shoulders, contact pose, passing pose, etc.

Step2: Practice copying what other successful animators are doing! Find a walk or run cycle in an animated movie or show that you like and get it in to Blender video sequence editor and scrub back and forth and see what’s going on, then try to emulate it as closely as you can. Count how many frames it takes, check where the poses lie etc, etc. You’ll learn a lot, trust me! It’s okay to copy what the pros are doing as long as you’re doing it for your own education and practice.

Just my two cents, hope it helps! :blue_heart:

Adding to what GadgetronGreg said…

You can also pick up a copy of Richard William’s book (The Animator’s Survival Kit). Starting on page 102, there’s a 74-page section on walks where he breaks it down into very small steps (forgive the pun).

1 Like