Any good tutorials for rigging 2 different but parallel bone chains with IK spline to move together?

(Angela Jarman) #1

I’m still a newb, trying to create animated mesh fairy wings in Blender with the Avastar plug in.
Any wing animation and rigging tutorials I’ve seen only deal with one main bone chain for the wings, but I want something like insect wings (think dragonfly) with upper and lower panels.
I haven’t jumped in to see what would work yet because my RL work needs most of my focus so I don’t want to spend time watching tutorials that end up not showing me what I need.
I know I can make bone sets, so, could I make the upper (main Bento wing ) bone chain a set with the lower bone chain (moving hind leg bones up to right under the main wing bones) and then use one IK spline to control the movement for the upper and lower wing bones at the same time?
Any tips or links would be appreciated!

(ajcdfin) #2

Hey, Can you use a “Copy Rotation” constraint on one set ? Using one IK to control both leaves you with no independent control of the other. With a C/R const you can use the ‘influence’ slider to gain independent control when needed.

(Angela Jarman) #3

Maybe so, someone else also suggested I try that, but then will that also make it easier to give the bone chains a curved movement?
From what I’ve seen in tutorials so far, I like that the IK spline would create a curve I can manipulate to get that flexing movement in the wings without having to animate each bone separately and it looked like I could then control ‘hooks’ (are they like the bezier curve handles in Illustrator?) to give it a smooth movement and they would curve as if there is wind resistance.
Would using a copy rotation constraint allow me to do that as well, or is trying to get the upper and lower bone chains to move automatically as if locked together and also trying to apply a curve / wind resistance movement with 2 duplicate IK splines what I should do?

(Angela Jarman) #4

Should I be looking at Drivers instead?

(ajcdfin) #5

Hey, I think we are talking about to different rotations, I was thinking more of the ‘wing’ rotation AT the ‘body’, but now I think your referring more to the ‘wing flexing’, is that the case ? Are you using B-Bones ? Pics / drawings or a file would be helpful.

Would using a copy rotation constraint allow me to do that as well, or is trying to get the upper and lower bone chains to move automatically as if locked together and also trying to apply a curve / wind resistance movement with 2 duplicate IK splines what I should do?

That sounds reasonable - but Pics / drawings would help me to understand. Thanx

EDIT; Have you watched any of the ‘Humane Rigging’ (YouTube) tutorials ?