Any ideas how I could texture this?

I’m trying to make bread(Cube, Extruded Y Axis, Loop cuts, Subsurf). But I don’t know how to texture it.

I guess it would involve UV unwrapping. But none of the tutorials I’ve found for it involve something with different parts/images(Top, Side, Etc).

All I know to do is edge select the middle ring, Mark seem, Open UV image editor. But I have no clue afterwards.

I guess this would apply to more than just bread. But things that have different parts.

Any ideas?.

Thanks.

To load your UV coordinates, in the standard fashion, with your mouse cursor in the 3D window, and your model in edit mode, with all faces selected press ‘U’. This will give you a menu of options, but for starters just select ‘unwrap’. Now your UV coords should appear in the UV window.

That gives me:

And here’s a couple of pictures I got from the tutorial(Blender Guru):

Help?

Thanks.

Since You haven’t posted your mesh I can only guess what kind of topology you used but here is a small example I did:

All I did was divide the bread into two sections, as illustrated by the red and blue. The red section is the edge which I marked seams all around the outside and one on top and bottom. I then did a regular UV unwrap with only that section selected. Next I did an inverse selection to select the Blue section. From the front view I did a “Project From View” Unwrap (Ctl-U) keeping in mind I only have the blue section selected. Now all that was left was to move them around until they fit nicely together on the image. Now all thats left to do is replace the red and blue colors with textures from the images.

Hope that helps explain things.

EDIT: Added wireframe so you can see the edges.

Attachments

I’ve posted the blend below.

Thanks for your help!.

Attachments

bread.blend (323 KB)

At the moment your mesh is mostly a subdivided cube, I think you will find UV mapping to be much easier if you try to define the shape more with the mesh instead of using subsurf. Try modelling the shape first then after you have the shape you want you can enable subsurf to further smooth off the mesh if necessary.

However if you are sure you wish to keep the mesh as-is, then I would mark edge cuts so that it unfolds like this image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0yuakSf46i0/SAU3nn6Cx3I/AAAAAAAAACs/SHkMTWF0llI/s400/rectangular+prism.jpg

Here I simply traced slice of bread placed in background image. It is made out of loop cut cube. I added seam around the front face and back face of the bread. Those seams isolated the strip for the edge of the bread. To project this flat on UV space one seam was added to cut this loop. Front and back of the mesh was unwrapped using “Project from View” to keep its shape. This helps me to locate the UV map on to the bread image used as texture in UV window. UV map was scaled and translated manually. You can do that. Attached image shows the back side of bread UV face is off the UV space. What I was going to do there was to flip this map along X axis and lay it over the Front face. That way same image is used for the front and back.

Now to display whether map is working or not, you can set the 3D window to textured draw type, and in Shading / Materials buttons panel under Material tab, press TexFace and Shadeless. Than the bread texture will show.

Attachments

2 more things:
1.What am I supposed to mark?. If I do the middle row I get a cube in the UV editor.
2.Do you know any tutorials on adding the images?. Because when I add one image to all of it in the UV editor it gets zoomed in and blurry.

You’ve really helped!. Thanks.

What do you mean by mark seem?. Wouldn’t there not be a row of vertices?. And what about unwrapping the front and back?.

Thanks.

1. All of the outside edges of the shape I posted are seams, everything else should be left un-marked.

This one deals with texturing though he is hand painting it: http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/01/21/creating-an-axe-part-2/

This one deals with projection painting which might be useful if you decide to make a non-subsurfed mesh: http://www.blendercookie.com/2009/06/18/texturing-with-projection-painting/

Another UV mapping example but he uses an image:
http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/07/28/creating-a-coffee-cup-part-2/

EDIT: added an image for number 1. Can you see why it works better to have more of a shape defined without subsurf? Currently its just a rectangular prism.

Attachments

Could I get the slice of bread like that out of the cube?.

Thanks.

I tried to follow the image you posted and got:

+Blend.

Thanks.

Attachments

bread2.blend (284 KB)