Any ideas on simplification of a pastic grid?

I am going to be doing modeling of basketball courts made with this material. Interlocking plastic sport tiles. Just one tile modeled correctly has almost 3,500 vertices. Each square is just one foot, so I don’t even want to calculate the insane amount of vertices there would be.

Any quick thoughts on a reasonable workaround? I will not be animating them, just modeling and image textures applied.

Wanted to start in the right direction before I waste time and effort on the hard way to do it.

Attachments

How close are you going to be rendering this. Could you not just create a black and white mask texture and apply it to a plane. If you need it to look 3d(ish) you could bake the geometry out as a normal, bump or displacement map.

do you need some alpha for the holes ?

happy cl

I thought about alpha but IRL the panels are painted and have color at a 90 degree angle from the surface. Would be nice to render that. There is also another grid below the surface but I am not as concerned about that. Maybe can do that on closeups.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Also concerned about moire effect on the panels.

you could bake the panel and do a normal map
but for the alpha may have to be added in GIMP

moire effect has nothing to do with blender
it is more a screen effect !

happy cl

I don’t think I need alpha. It will be viewed at an angle. I like the bump map idea. Will give that a go.

You don’t even need bump, take a shot from a distance with an ortho camera, save the image, project on the flat plane…
Bump can be tricky with all that holes, but displacement could work…
Basically if it doesn’t animate, it doesn’t need quads and can just limit to texture it. Unwrapping is obvious…

This is a perfect job for displacement : bake out your geometry to a texture (use z coordinate to paint black&white on an emission bsdf) and apply this texture as displacement onto a flat plane, with adaptive dicing checked. Now if you need the side of the carved areas to be painted a different color that’s a little bit trickier - what I would try is to blur the displacement map and use a colorramp node to isolate the “grey” area (ie the slope of he displacement ie the sides) and switch it to a different color.

Why not using the Bump node? it calculates the derivatives of the displacement… if we then get the dot product between that bump and the normal, we get how steep it is at the sampled point, and use that value in a colorramp.