Any interest in BGE Handheld port?

@cekuhnen, iphone as a widespread device that has OpenGL support and should be able to run blender without toooo many problems, it could be worth trying - and its not exclusive, can support many handhelds potenturaly. but Id personally be interested in getting one running to start with,.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Nintendo-DS-Games if you can program them like this why cant you make em with blender?

I think it’s a great idea… ideasman42… ouch. :wink: .seriously it would be cool to be able to make version that works on portable devices…

an example of PSP’s processing power …
and it’s widely famous , and cool !!! , we have 3 PSPs at our family !!! ,
http://www.primotechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/god_of_war_chains_of_olympus_06-2l.jpg
http://www.pspsps.tv/attica_cyclops_02.jpg

I would be very interested in the production of a hand held BGE. I can donate my time, my artwork, and small amounts of cash to this project. I have a few years of game modeling experience, and a couple of years using the BGE producing real time presentations for my company.

Just let me know when and where and I will be there!
:slight_smile:

Hmm…How many people here are brave enough to email Nintendo or Sony? :smiley:

you can use the un-official SDK , it’s legal as far as i know …

youd need OpenGL for the PSP for blender to run, The only lib I can find says its very incomplete http://www.goop.org/psp/gl/ - getting this to work for the BGE is probably a lot of work.

BGE for PSP is a pretty cool idea but sometimes with the X,O,square, and triangle, and the arrow keys, that’s a chalenge. But with the iPhone it’s even more challenging with the whole fingers. I mean one finger for cursor, two fingers for select, three fingers MMB, four fingers…
…So I think with Wii(yeah I know it’s a big thing) the “mouse” and pop up keyboard would work. The wii’s mouse pointer is cool. It could do “A” to select, “B” to place cursor, “Z” to MMB, and “C” for Shift-MMB. The Wii isn’t handheld but it’ll work. :smiley:

blenderman345 what challenge? I play all the time with my PSP to all kind of games without problem, it is very confortable, if you’re used to play with home consoles there’s no difference to play with a PSP.

I think we should stick with Linux based devices. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are going to want money for us adding a commercial game to their hand held systems.

Oops. Sorry. meant about Using blender on one of these. Games will do and be good on any of these. Just imagine, Apricot(let’s say, Frankie Unleashed)
Frankie Unleashed: Coming Soon for Nintendo DS, Wii, PS3, PS2, GBA, and Xbox 360.(okay, not all just one or 3)

“Frankie Unleashed: Coming Soon for Open Pandora” is more licly to happen. tho you would have to port CS or BGE to OpenGL-ES. and thats assuming that the Pandora is actually released.

just want to reminder there was already a project where a guy ported blender to a palmtop and got it running. Couldn’t find the site though.

Do the guys at the BF stay awake all night? :smiley:

If you take a program which uses the full scope of the OpenGL library and try to compile it against PSPGL, you’re going to have a tough time. However, PSPGL is intended to be an OpenGL/ES-like library, so if you stick to that subset you’ll have a happier time.

PSPGL is actually a fairly complete implementation of the PSP’s hardware capabilities, including things like bezier surfaces. I’ve never looked at Blender GE, but if it has been ported to OpenGL ES before, then getting it going with PSPGL should mostly be a matter of bugfixing rather than wholesale additions to PSPGL.

(It’s actually more complete than OpenGL/ES, in that it supports basic things like glBegin/End. But the big thing that people stumble over is that, like OpenGL/ES, it doesn’t support display lists.)

> just want to reminder there was already a project where a guy ported blender to a palmtop and got it running. Couldn’t find the site though

That would have been Salvadore - the site is under construction at the mo, pending hopefully some great news! ( http://russose.free.fr )

He ported all of Blender, with the exception of the GE ( so you could model, render, use nodes etc ) on a Windows CE device with a stylus ( quite a few phones included ).

It would be amazing to see the GE getting ported to at least one other platform, which should then help get the code structured to run under many other platforms.

Come to think of it, getting the Web Plugin working again ( and sandboxed for security ) would sort of offer a new platform ( or at least a more accessible one for some people ).

Mal

I got an idea. Let’s just tell campo straight out: YES! We do have an intrest in a handheld(or any console for that matter) port.
I sign this petition with a B345.

This post is subject to ©©(Creative Commons) Licence and is ©© by it’s creator. (Alt-G on Mac) :smiley:

One possability might be a port of BGE to the symbian mobile phones platform, preferably S60v3. For one thing it already has a quite big userbase. And some of the newer handsets also has HW-accelerated 3d graphics. Might be possible, but hey, i aint a programmer :wink:

Its also said that S60v3 applications is going to be compatible with the future open source symbian platform, more info.

Think it would be easier to try and get it ported to Smartphones and PDA’s first?

Also, couldn’t you use the DS cartridge that lets you make homebrew games and see if you can port it over that way?