Any news on blender 2.8 interactive mode (?)

Just found a question from the audience on interactive mode in the Blender Conference 2019 playlist :

According to the statement “there is no timeline for it” it seem, like interactive mode is not going to happen anytime soon. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

That’s sad but totally predictable -

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

the community has already been busy at work

Youle and Loki are restoring the engine 1 commit at a time.

you can call BPY in the running engine - so in theory this is already ‘interactive mode’

there are some big pieces to be restored - however it’s functional right now.

4 Likes

^^Ton is either on crack or someone’s payroll. Probably both.
“yeah let’s juss yank out the game engine, no problem. we can come up with a half-assed replacement in like, never”

Thankfully, the community cleaned up the mess. Yet again.

5 Likes

To be fair, the BGE was always kinda half-assed, so a half-assed replacement is only appropriate.

1 Like

You’d be a-okay with a liver transplant from a heavy drinker by that logic, I mean if you wanna take a dump on something at least be smart about it.

2 Likes

It’s more like excising a tumor, then thinking long and hard before putting the tumor back in.

Personally i just wanna see more games being made by the community!!!
(I mean what more can you ask for we already have UPBGE 3.0+ coming , BF must just take UPBGE and make it an in House Engine i don’t like the separation)

That’s all for now!

Fred/K.S

1 Like

You’re supposed to extirpate cancer, not put it back.

I don’t find the idea of a nicely built playground within a 3D suite undesirable in the least – if you have an argument against that then I’m listening.

They also said Benoit didn’t have time to work on it so far. @ton @dfelinto, why not talk again with @lubos / armory3d project? Keep it optional (separate addon / package / branch) if the dependencies and or licenses are a concern.

I kinda doubt you actually are interested in listening to what I think. So I’ll just step out of the subforum and allow this conversation to continue.

meanwhile I am over here making games in blender game engine in blender 2.8 using prb.

we need a few things restored still,
we need GPU armature skinning
we need ATAA
then we blow past armoury.

Yes yes, we all know about your’s & @lordloki_reloaded’s good work :slight_smile:
You post a lot about it :wink:

To any outsider here @BluePrintRandom & I are just horsing-around like good friends, ignore us.

it is the work of Youle and Loki,
backend.

frontend I am just a tester who uses complex things,
meaning I find alot of the bugs.

1 Like

Wait . . . Youle & Lorki aren’t the same person?! :man_facepalming:

Well this is embarrassing.

BGE was the core concept of Blender since 1994. Now it’s just gone. Because we need more buttons and more fancy UX/UI.

I was using Blender for ENGINEERING simulations and rapid VR prototyping where electronics was providing data in real time to Python.

NOW IT’S JUST GONE WITH NO ALTERNATIVE OR REPLACEMENT.

Blender became just another fancy 3D modelling tool.

Also LOST my RESPECT and TRUST as Open-Source where someone comes and just removes something with no alternative.

NOT COOL :frowning:

2 Likes

Btw. UPBGE is now working on FreeBSD :slight_smile:

Bullshit. Removing things with no replacement no alternative and even no plans for alternative is SO LAME! That move destroyed my respect for Blender :frowning:

1 Like

Maybe this can help:

I used to personally think Ton removing the BGE was totally inexcusable :neutral_face:
Then I realized that Blender Internal was removed also.
& what do they have in common?
The same code.
It wouldn’t make sense to remove one thing, & not the other (That would be favoritism)
So they removed both Blender Internal & the BGE engines.
The Cycles engine was left behind so old-timers would have at least something that they where familiar with, before moving on to the new EEVEE engine.