Any other bigger contest like Blender F1?

The BWC 2008 winners will be announced 7th September, so I think, that this contest could start sometime in next two weeks, but there was no announcement, so it is only my opinion. I am also looking forward to finished works for this contest, because BWC entries are really wonderful - hard work for the judges to choose only three of them ;).

Damn, I loved to take a go at that realistic contest but I’ll be in school and working full time, so unless I can figure out a way to not sleep it probably won’t be doable for me. Hopefully there are a lot of great entries for it like the BWC, seems like a lot of people pushed themselves for the BWC and improved a lot.

lp - dunno what ‘school’ means for you, but would you be able to tweak this contest into a school project?

I possibly could. I am taking an anatomy, figure drawing class. I had thought about asking the teacher if I could try modeling stuff like the bones and what not for my anatomy journal. I’ve already read all the chapters I need to for my programming class so that shouldn’t take much time and than I have a web design class and I am familiar with HTML and CSS, just never used Dreamweaver so I don’t think that will hold me back too much. Right now I am doing the exercises in the programming book to get ahead. I learned a lot from the BWC so I will have to at least attempt it even if I don’t finish.

I see this thread been bumped a few times this week. but I wonder is this still on. BgDM or Len can any of you confirm. am itching to give this a real go?

tyrant monkey - I’m so set on my project I’ll probably do it anyway, but I guess they are simply respecting the BWC and giving it the space it deserves first.

linuxpimp21 - If you did enough 2D/traditional sketches of your subject first, you might be able to work that into being backup work for the final 3D project. Might be an idea for you in this case to model someone you know, maybe someone in the class so the teacher can see the resemblence/attention to detail. Easier to get reference photos and such, particularly if your school has some sort of photography setup. Working in sketches of the facial muscle groups and such where you think they flow would help in the creation of the 3D image as well. This contest might take the road of everyone trying to push the realms of SSS, texture, etc but anatomical attention in the modelling makes the rest so much easier.

Even if you don’t finish by the contest deadline, (whenever that is) I’m sure it will be a great learning thing if you can find the time.

I had thought of even incorporating my web design class. One idea I had for the site I will have to make for the class would be a site about making realistic humans in Blender. I could have different section on texturing/lighting/modeling, etc. Basically any information I gathered on the subject I could put there. With people’s permissions I’d but there work on there; i’d link to tutorials, like your head tutorial; and, I would do reviews on books that I have, or get that I think are useful. I had this idea before the class and contest, but I would put my W.I.P. for the contest on there as well. But for a first website it might be a little much for me, as I’d like for it to be easy for people to communicate through and collaborate on, much like the multilayered SSS skin thread.

I think it’s a good idea for a website, but you’re probably right in that it might be biting off a bit more than you can chew for a first one.

a cash prize is always a good thing too!

Hey sorry guys, I’ve been away. Contest is still going ahead, not long now :slight_smile:

So this contest is basically a realistic human modeling contest? might be something I could be interested in doing to help improve my modeling skill and creating something from references.

http://www.vimeo.com/1722079 - whee!

Still heaps excited about this contest.

And that Wall-E finally comes to Australia this week.

Not that it’s related.

Just excited.

Nice modelling and texturing, BenDansie. However, I would rather wait with it, because there can be some special rules for the contest. Like "the model must be a real singer or actor… " or so.

Anyway, I am training for contest too :).

I hope there will be an official announcement soon ;).

Thanks, but that isn’t my intended entry, its my on going character study. I plan to enter a male in the contest for personal variety.

Wouldn’t dare start a contest before it’s officially announced - risk of disqualification and all.

Hey guys, get yar creative fingers ready! We’re keeping the contest fairly simple (I think lol). There will be two categories. I’m hoping for another sponsor to get on-board, so I’m waiting to hear from them. Otherwise it will just go ahead as things are now, as I’m sure everyone will agree waaaayy too much time has passed since this was all first decided!

Cheers
Len

I got this glazed happy look on my face like I just consumed a lot of illegal substances. Its on, damn it means I better complete my head model I have a few things I would like to clear out of the way before all this starts. But this news just made my day.

So does that mean ‘game on?’

After being heaps keen on a certain subject, I’m now undecided again. Argh! Don’t have time to enter twice.
What will help that decision will probably come down to whether or not we can use other programs like Zbrush in any way. I would use it to get finer details in sculpting - the base mesh, most of the texturing, all of the lighting/shading/rendering would be done in Blender.

If people don’t see that as fair, I can understand that. Just thought I’d bring it up as people will most likely be using secondary programs for texturing like Photoshop and Gimp.

Edit - Got this windows build - http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=739

Tweaking the settings, hiding mesh I’m not using and generally being smart about memory/GPU useage (turn off second monitor, etc) lets me sculpt a bit over 4 million polygons in Blender. This may change things a little…

Aye Bendansie the game is on :slight_smile: Yeh I’m afraid this is strictly Blender hey. With the emphasis being on what Blender is capable of. And the normal programs may be used for texuring, like Photoshop and Gimp. But you’ve been getting really good results from without using Z-Brush heh?

Where can we find the rules for the game? Or is that all still being ironed out? Or are you still waiting for another possible sponsor?

linuxpimp21, Aye all the details, rules etc will come when the Contest is launched. :wink: