Any suggestions on what course I should take in University?

Hi everyone, I’m a young man about to head to university next year, but I still can’t decide on which course best suits me. I find 3D modeling fun and interesting, but I am sure that my parents won’t consider me going to a “purely arts” course. One course that I have my eyes set on is Architecture since it is a mixture of arts and science, while also using 3D modeling software. I would like to know more courses similar to this. If you have any suggestions in mind, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know. :))

1 Like

Can’t you skip Univ and just learn on Youtube? This is obviously a decision not to be taken lightly, but when you consider the cost of Univ in a lot of countries,… y’know? (which country are you in, btw?)

As far as subjects - 3D printing? :slight_smile: Isn’t that a subject now?

Do not accept any compromise - it’s your life and your decision will probably impact your future seriously.
If you have art skill, pursue them. If you have math skill… I think you can answer yourself.

3 Likes

3d tools are just tools. You can really learn them on YouTube or third-party courses. But after a quick study of the tools, you will likely find a lack of basic knowledge like art, design, artistic anatomy, or architecture. 3D tools are “how to do”. The specialty is “what to do”. Environment art, character art, product design, … Loving 3D is like loving hammering nails.

4 Likes

Architecture is s good choice. But look at the schools thoroughly. There are some that offer a wide range of courses - from purely architecture based ones to very free artistic ones - and other schools are very focused on the purely architectural courses. At least here in Germany. It might be different wherever you live.

3 Likes

An “architect” speaking. I would say, this field has a mystique, that is often proven to be just that, an illusion.

The contents of the programme vary wildly from one school to another. One might find yourself in a very dry and technical school, where the projects are done only in “industry standard” software like AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Revit. These are not fun programs to use and the stuff you work on is rarely fun or interesting either. Some schools produce “technicians”, people trained to work within the rigid frame of a particular CAD software all day, every day. Imagine placing window models into a wall of a building for a daily job.

There are schools that focus on theory, explore the conceptual side of the trade. That is where a lot more fun is possible. The courses can be extremely interesting, like approaching the concept by recording the sound of the environment, then using the soundwave signature to establish your design. A lot of interesting ways to apply yourself. That being said, I know quite a few people from such schools, very talented, deep thinkers, but having a near impossible task of finding work after graduation. Abstract thinking and concept development has limited appreciation in the world of harsh deadlines and tight budgets.

I would say, if possible, try finding a school that offers the middle ground. In this case, you get to balance the boring CAD stuff that will get you employed later on, with some cool stuff, like 3D printing, VR, awesome modelling and rendering. In the end, a school like this, will make you the jack of all trades, but a master of none. The master part, you will have to pick and develop yourself.

To sum up, like the other person have said, if you do decide on architecture, look at the schools thoroughly. Make sure you understand where you are getting into.

3 Likes

I wanted to learn things beyond just how to use 3D softwares, like theories and stuff (which can’t be learned from just Youtube), but I’m just not sure what that thing I want to learn is :((

Right now, I’m studying in the Philippines but I plan to take univ in Canada since I’m a citizen of both countries.

1 Like

What about books, for that, ie. PAPER books? When I went to Uni, they taught me some theoretical stuff which I had to take notes of, in a little pad, and then I don’t remember 2 words of it so many years later. A book will solve that problem, won’t it? If you forget something, you just…Look It Up, it’s not some -handwritten- note? Just seems more evocative to me. A little digging around on -your fave Ecomm site- may be in order here?
Obviously Uni is not just about the actual -education-, it’s college LIFE as well, all the parties, the nights out and so on, the “best days of your life”, as they say. But non-Youtube’s cost is, in Canada, tremendous, so…you might just wanna consider this (or HAVE to).

psvedas, isn’t the field of architecture about to undergo a Huge Revolution? :slight_smile: :

hey OP, these are some books I’ve come across, which may be of interest. Note that this is not vouching for these books’ QUALITY or content in any way, I’ve just come across them and know they exist. Use at your own risk.

Is it possible to land a job through just books? I’m just scared that maybe I wouldn’t have the practical skills to be hired in the future if I don’t go to university.

Honestly, I don’t even know what course to take, I only have around a year to decide and it’s kind of stressing me out. It might really be an option for me to just not go through univ, but I want to fulfill my dad’s dream of being able to retire in Canada, which is why he wants me to study and start settling there.

I dreamed of being an audio Recording Engineer, which my Father warned me was usually low paying and not a “real job”.

So I went for Electrical Engineering at a school that also had several Audio courses. They made me take a computer programming class using FORTRAN (this was 1976). I found it quite easy and got an “A”, but didn’t consider it as a career path. (I also failed miserably at Electrical Engineering, and had lots of different jobs for many years)

Fast Forward 17 years to 1993…

After writing a warehouse management computer program and a body shop management program using Microsoft Visual Basic, I said to my wife “this is what I’m supposed to be doing!” - and I was quite successful until my recent retirement.

Don’t “decide” your career too early. Life will help you figure it out!

3 Likes

How about making stuff for Youtube? You can do that from your bedroom, or even a cafe/coworking space if you have a high power laptop, and you just…Make Money Directly cutting out the middleman. Seems the way forward to me! But it IS risky, no doubt, and I personally have yet to try this myself, so maybe I shouldn’t shoot my mouth off. But it IS the future! No one says you have to do it solo, just look on the net for people to collaborate with - someone to do the story, someone else to do the music, and so on…until you’ve got a finished movie! SOMEONE has to do this, at some point the next step has to be taken! It’s time to USE those fat 4G and 5G and Fiber connections, for YOUR BENEFIT, right? THIS is what they were put there for! If YOU don’t do it, who will?!! :slight_smile:

I think that you should always – first(!) – give very serious thought as to what truly interests you, and why. Don’t let your decision be weighed down by what you think your parents would say … instead, why not sit down with them and have a talk?

Seriously. “They’ve been around this block called ‘real life’ a time or three … you haven’t yet.” Once it’s clear to them that you really are asking for their counsel, what would their counsel be? You think that you know – but, do you? There’s only one way to find out …

Now, if you’re genuinely interested in “3D,” kindly remember that this field is now “vastly bigger then ‘Pixar® Movies.’” Very much thanks to Blender, 3D graphics is finding an endless number of applications. (Including, of course, “arch viz.”) You can make a very good living from these skills without leaving your home town … no matter where that may be. And very few things are as satisfying as “a job well done for an appreciative audience.”

I’ve got a lot more to say, but for the moment, here’s this (not read it myself, just the title is grabbing):

Unfortunately, a lot of jobs still expect you to present that piece of paper called a degree, though you can freelance or start your own business as an alternative (which does not require the paper). Things are starting to change in some areas though, but not at a rapid rate.

If you can get away without the massive expense that is university, then take it. There are a ton of resources out there both for free and for a cost. Here in the US at least, the price of tuition can buy you a ton of books and paid online courses, which in my opinion is a far healthier choice than forcing yourself to immerse in modern campus culture for 4 years.

1 Like

Well, back in the day, my four-year baccalaureate degree cost a benevolent candy company $13,000, and this was because I was “out of state.” In-state residents paid about $4,000 and full-tuition scholarships were commonplace. I walked out with my diploma, owing nothing.

Today, students are saddled with unconscionable debt strictly to give Wall Street securities traders something new to “securitize” – SLABS = Student Loan Asset-Backed Securities. Which they switched to once they realized that they could not continue to sell “sub-prime” (“worthless …”) home mortgages. The same state-run university that I attended now quite-calmly tells students that their piece of vellum will cost a quarter of a million dollars … a debt which (by design) they cannot discharge in bankruptcy.

Very simply – today, I would not pursue a college diploma in the USA. If the country needs a college-educated person, it can get them from Zimbabwe on a non-immigrant visa, keep them here for about six years, then throw them back. It’s not worth it to spend the rest of your life paying off debt for an experience of sitting in classrooms that are just like the ones that you attended during high school: you’re getting absolutely nothing for an absurd amount of money. Until that nonsense finally goes away, as eventually it will, I would not pursue any college diploma. Eventually they will become affordable again, and Wall Street will be forced to “securitize” something else. Meanwhile, you can afford to wait.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I might be persuaded to pay a quarter of a million dollars for a really nice house, because I get to live in that house, and because it’s a market-determined price for a tangible asset. I will not pay a quarter of a million dollars to sit in a classroom, because I perfectly well know that it does not cost a quarter of a million dollars (per student!) to buy desks and chalk, keep the lights on and the water running, stock the snack machines, and to hire a janitor to sweep the floors each night. I’ll pay a lot of money for something that is really worth a lot of money, but I won’t pay an unconscionable price for something that isn’t – just to keep a financial speculator in business.

And – I know that this will change. Society has a genuine need for affordable, readily available higher education, just as it has a genuine need for high schools. The cost of providing both levels of education are about the same, as the educational experience is almost identical. If we wanted to, public university education could easily be free, just as high school now is. I grew up in a time when society did think that way, and I know that it will think that way again. Which is why I said, “you can afford to wait it out.”

Right now, the IT industry is booming. So you should take any course from the information technology field like Web programming, Digital marketing and Content Writing etc.

Like i am also computer science graduate and currently working with Storage brand in London

So also have a good time right now, to start your career in the IT industry because it’s booming everywhere around the world.

1 Like