Any way around radiosity made subdivisions?[ANSWERED]

Is there any way that I can get rid of all those extra vertices created by radiosity, and still retain the light information showing on my textures?

Right now it all works. The radiosity really lights the enviroment and influences textures great, but I am worried that if I were to model anything larger than just a single room, all those subdivisions made by radiosity would have a negative impact on performance (maybe I am wrong about that?).

Either way, any technique that could make this possible would be great. So, if you know any such technique/method, please tell me.

Thank you.

you have a LOT of control on where the subdivisions are in the first place

you could even set elem to zero and have it not subdivide the mesh at all…

http://geocities.com/z3r0_d/bTut01.html

Thank you, that gives me some options, but:

What I was really looking for was something along the lines of imposing the radiosity light data into the texture itself, so that I can have all the radiosity lighting effects as a UV texture, instead of a vertex color which demands subdivision for a decent lighting effect.

Is there a method that can do what I am describing, or something that’s at least close?

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44144

Ok.

I have loaded the script into blender, selected a mesh and clicked “RUN SCRIPT”. I end up with a very ugly magnified texture after the script does its calculations.

Is there maybe an example.blend file which shows the correct procedure for using this script to do what I mentioned earlier or a step by step tutorial? If not that, than maybe you could tell me the procedure yourself.

This is one the last questions I need answered, so anything you could give me would be appreciated.

Its a labourious job, but once you have the radiosity solution,
split the mesh into planes, and then map them back onto your origional
low poly mesh.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Bogey.

Sorry bogey, but that was way too general for me.

What I am looking for Is a detailed process on using the raybaker3 script which z3r0 d reccomended. Im sure someone has made a tutorial for using it, its just that I cant seem to find it.

Either way thanks for trying.

Ok Social Im sorry that dident help, its just the way I texture me objects.
I find you have much more control on texture resaloution, and placement
on the map. Better placement means smaller overheads, and file sizes.
What I meant be spliting it into planes was, look from one side of the object, then every thing you can see from that side, take a render with an ortho camera, and use this as the texture map. I some times use
several diferent radiosity solutions, and pick the best areas to map back.
You can also use all the other lighting methods, ambient occlusion ect,
so long as they dont obscure a hidden area such as underneath an arm
for example. Perhapse there is a script which I haven spotted that might
do this. Another baker script might be able to do this.

anyway, merry christmas

Bogey.

Thank you Bogey.

I actually knew about that method. The reason I asked this was to see if there was a way for blender to do the same thing automatically. I didnt feel like rendering all the textures I have already mapped into a new image which I would then have to remap to a new low-poly object.

As you said, Its a laborious job, but it seems that is my best bet.

Thanks again for your help Bogey and merry christmas to you as well.

for BRayBaker:

Don’t use the default settings.

If your object is already UV mapped, and you want ot bake in ambient occlusion, these are the settign I would use.

Let 's say your current texture is 256x256.

untoggle “estimate sizes”
click “to UV coords”
select :“UV Area”

min: 256
max: 512
size: 1024

Be sure you have blender set to render at 100%, and you also have your antialiasing turned up, and of course, ambient occlusion, then run the script.

when the image is finished rendering, open it up in your 2d paint program, downsize it to a 256x256 texture. Very nice looking, AO baked texture finished, without all that radiosity method mess.

BRayBaker is the best script for creating game art, no doubt about it.