Anybody know the sequence of Hash / Versioning is determined?

For example the current Hash code is this:

The reason I ask is people in bug reports say, “I’m using 66db43”
Well, how do I know what day that build is?

I tried Googling “Blender Hash” and you can imagine what comes up instead, lol.

Used to be on the splash screen, but it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. Now you have to dig into the file folder. If you download as a file (zipped) it should be part of the folder name. Also supposed to be in the “Save system info” text file the program can save using the help menu. Apparently a little bugged on the Ubuntu/Debian edge release at the moment because I’m getting “unknown” for those on my system. Might be working elsewhere though.

I get what you mean though. There really should be a way to have that info copied to the user’s clip board so they can just copy-paste it. Not sure why developers didn’t do that, as I’d think it’d make their work a little easier if they get improved user feedback.

you can use a script to print it!

import bpy,sys
print(‘System info =’,sys.version_info[:])
print (’ Hash =’, bpy.app.build_hash )

happy bl

It’s the final commit before it was built, so if it’s d130c66db43 it’s this one for example: https://developer.blender.org/rBd130c66db436b1fccbbde040839bc4cb5ddaacd2 You can see what day it is there. But it’s more useful if something is broken in one version and works in earlier versions.

I presume that the developers are using the git version-control system, which assigns arbitrary “hashes” to uniquely identify each commit. (The full hash is quite long, but is routinely abbreviated.) This would therefore serve, to the developers, as an exact identification of the so-called “commit” that constituted a particular final build-target.

The hash serves only as a unique-identifier and will have no “sequence” at all. (It is so unique that the hashes produced by each developer, working independently of the others, will not collide when their separate streams-of-work (branches) are finally merged. This notion is fundamental to how git works, as a fully-distributed, “server-less” version control system … AFAIK, the only one of its kind.)

The developers will also have some form of build-numbering scheme which they apply, most likely as part of the contnt of each final build-target’s commit. This number is intended for “human purposes,” but could be ambiguous. The hash is not: “in all the world, the hash is absolutely unique and authoritative, but meaningless.”

Okay, thanks everyone.
My original question was which day was which hash built basically.
From the answers the short answer would be:

1. Go here: https://developer.blender.org/
  2. Enter hash in search, and you can see what date that hash build is.

thanks again