Anyone got a large earth map?

Specifically spec, cloud, of bumpmap… I have the huge Nasa ones but its only a texture, the largest spec map, etc… maps i have are the 1k ones from planet site, anyone have any very large ones?

I don’t know of any bigger then the 1K ones.

You got these?

http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/planets.html

those were the ones i was talking about, im looking for any hopefully at least 5000x10000. but if any have some a little smaller then that ill still be happy

I have the ones here. They are both bmp’s and are around 2.5 megs in size. They are also both the earth.

They are both 1440x720

Texture
Cloud

Why 10,000 x 5000 ?

What is this for?

trying to do an earth shot pretty up close the detailed texture map i got from nasa is around 20,000 x 10,0000 pixels but im having trouple finding a large spec/ bump map to go with it, its so big its almost impossible to edit, even with a gig of ram.

x

I have a 43200 x 21600 one, but it’s only color, no bump/spec.

Hi,
have you tried editing the large image you already have? You can do it easily in Gimp or Photoshop or something. Thats what I’d do… Convert it to greyscale and increase the brightness and contrast to crazy levels (so everything is black and white) for your spec map and do the same for your bump map, but make sure everything is still greyish.
Do you know what I mean :-?
Now that I think about it, maybe your image is too big for Gimp?

it take too much memory, the image itself is 130megs!! i bearly have enough memory to open it up to edit, i run out of memory if i try to do any global editing to the image.

I’m gonna presume you meant 20,000 x 10,000 pixies?
I did a bit of searching a few weeks ago for big maps, but had little luck… I have some stuff at home. I’ll check if I have anything that you might find useful when I get home tonight.

it take too much memory, the image itself is 130megs!! i bearly have enough memory to open it up to edit, i run out of memory if i try to do any global editing to the image.[/quote]

Are you using Gimp? Have you tried raising the tile cache? You also probably want to have oodles of space for swap.

IF you’re using photoshop, theres an equivalent in the prefs, I can’t remember what its called.

Do you have a link to this big image? I would like to check it out.

go get some RAM :wink:

i regularly work on images that are in excess of 4 or 5 hundred megabytes. to prevent your system from choking you need RAM.

you should have 512 MB as a bare minimum, 1 gig or more is preferred.

I can work without too much problem on 300Mo files with photoshop on my laptop…

Ram’s probably not the problem, he said he has a gig.

i missed that post entirely, oops. just the way he was talking about 130 MB being ‘large’, i thought he had like 32MB of RAM or something ridiculous.

Just a thought, why can’t you use a large colour map, but the lower resolution bump and spec map. They don’t need to be that high res.