Substance Painter: How to make a mask within a mask

Is there a way to do make a mask inside a mask in Painter like its possible in blender?

For example: Im making a chair. Its going to have base grey metal lasyer as a base and a Painted Metal layer on top. I made a mask to show metal edge wear, so there will be parts of exposed grey metal in the paint.

Now WITHIN those parts of the grey metal which is exposed and has no paint, i want to have a mask so that SOME parts of that exposed metal has rust. So a mask, within a mask.

I tried using anchor points but the rust layer just overtakes the metal edge war below completely and i only get rust and the painted metal, not the base metal.

plus if i use a paint layer with the rust layer black mask, it just paints OVER the metal paint layer.

This is my absolute first project in painter so everything is still new.

You could do it with 2 fill layers one for Paint and one for Metal ( metal on the bottom)…add your black mask to both layers…
so you have the metal masked with rust then on top of that, you have a paint masked to show the metal…

Take a look at this…

You should get into the habit of always using groups in Painter. It makes the masking workflow a lot more powerful and easier to manage. Basically, you want all your main materials in their own group folders. You can then mask between materials and then go into the groups and mask between layers.

i did that already but i just wanted a way to make sure the rust layer can only access the mask i generated painted, like i can do in blender.

i tried anchor points but that didnt work

See if there is something you can use among the videos from Artiuisum Digital…

I really like her videos and they are always well done with plenty of explanations for those getting started or those that have used Substance for some time…

no but someone from adobe helped me out on their forum. i almost figured it out myself seeing videos but he helped with one thing.

it works. anchor points is the way to go. mask in a mask like blender doesnt work in painter