Anyone into networking ?

Well, I want to learn networking, so I’m hooking up a xp with a debian computer, using a RJ45 connecter and wanted to learn a little bit about networking. But the problems I have is I don’t know where to start. After reading the Debian manual it says nothing about searching for a connection and getting it to communicate. I would of use ubontu or mandrake but there weren’t able to install on this machine, ubontu just idles and mandrake complain about can’t install vim.

Anyways can someone help me out ?

First check that it’s a crossover cable and not just a plain RJ45. That could save a lot of headache. Some Macs (like mine) can use the plain RJ45 for direct connection but most machines can’t.

http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/crossover.html

Then you need to set up your IP addresses but some machines do this automatically. If I plug my Mac into an XP machine (not for long, I don’t want it to get a veneral disease ;)), XP auto assigns an IP for itself on the network.

I then have a connect to server panel, which I’m not sure of the equivalent on Debian that I would type this IP. One thing to note though is what protocol you are going to use. If I use the connect to server, I have to use Samba, which is what you need to access the Windows filesystem. So I would type smb://<IP>.

I think you’d probably be easiest using ftp so you don’t need to do this. So just get a free ftp client like pureftpd and transfer files that way. The only reason to use other protocols is so that you can launch programs remotely etc. but with different OSs, there’s no need.

In summary:

1. get a crossover cable
  2. with the cable in, the machines should auto-assign IPs. If not, do so manually
  3. get an ftp client and connect using the IP address. Remember and enable ftp services as required.

you’ll have to set them manually on xp and debian unless you configure one machine as a dhcp server [and set them both then to use it]

set the IP addresses as the same for the first 3 parts, like 10.0.2.10 and 10.0.2.11 for example

using jonqueror you can type smb:// too

pureftpd … a ftp daemon to run on the xp machine?

if you can, use samba

linux has several ftp clients [again, konqueror can be used]
internet explorer can be used as a ftp client, I like SmartFTP better

Well do you want to know how to just to get them to talk to each other or actually know about how they talk with each other, because there’s a huge difference. Though, if you just want to hook em up, i would agree that using a straight through Cat5(the actual cable RJ-45’s are the ends to the cable) wont work unles you have a hub or switch, but if you have one cable and two computers, definately go for a cross-over cable. you do have to set IP’s though, unless you can set up DHCP, which is hard if you dont know much about IP addressing. I know on my distro, you can run netconfig to set your IP address, considering the size of your network i would suggest a 192.168.0.0 network, meaning your first machine would be set to 192.168.0.1 and your second 192.168.0.2, and so on. I’m sure you already know how to set the IP in windows, but in linux if netconfig doesnt work, you run ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.? unless you have two cards you should be using eth0 as your ethernet card, then you type in ifconfig again, and if your cable is connected, you should see details on your connection.

Networking can be hard… I’m about ready for my CCNA test, its really hard stuff… but the basics arent too bad. Hope this helps

How to get them to talk to each other, is what I’m aiming for, I already study about the 7 layers. I was hoping for a peer to peer. So let me get this straight, I need to make a crossover ? Got some network tools if I have too.

Doesn’t serial connection use crossover as well ? There’s a way of doing it over the phone.

Linux did mention something about DHCP, but don’t think Debian can set it up itself to use it. The only thing I know about windows IP is that it can be put in manually for Internet connections. PPP I think. I know how to use ping, just don’t know how to connect them :frowning:

Ok will a crossover be require for peer to peer ? And is there any order for the crossover connection ?

Good luck on your test by the way.

If you just simply want the machines to talk get a hub that has a dhcp server and plug them in. It’s too simple. Don’t use PPP it’s an older protocol. All modern systems support tcp/ip.

Hi Al, to set up a p2p connection is very easy.

1. Use Crossover cable if you do not have a hub.

2. If Hub use 2 straight 1:1 RJ45 cable 8 poles.

3. Make sure the NIC drivers are properly installed

4. Make sure IP adress 1 and 2 are different!

5. Make sure the subnet mask is the SAME!

6. Now it should work!

7. Have a beer or two.

8. You still smoke these stinking cigars Al?

9. >edit< DHCP doesnt really make sense with a p2p connect., except Martys
    method.

Serial connections are kinda wierd, they use a variety of cables, in the case of a computer serial interface (eg, dev/ttyx), you can actually do networking though it, its just slow… really slow, and its mostly not ever used. In fact when it was popular, i remember a program called laplink that you had to run to make it work. As far as ethernet, yeah, 3d penguin has that covered pretty well, if you run into problems dont be afriad to ask.

oh BTW, PPP is not an outdated protocol, in fact chances are you are using it right now… hehe, its just used for setting up your connection, authentication, and the sort, it cant be used to actually identify computers, and as far as setting your IP in windows, i think that ppp and tcp/ip are right next to each other(yeah so i dont remember everything about windows… good riddance to that nightmare). Also, I’ve never heard of a hub that can do DHCP, i’m curious as to where i can find one… Does a router with a hub count?(like my cisco 2505 :slight_smile: )

:slight_smile: Yah, no PPP is dead here. If you’re a security freak, which I actually am, a local network with a protocal different than that used to connect the internet isn’t a bad idea.

I think almost all hubs that are used to connect to a cable modem these days have DHCP servers. My D-Link even has dedicated firewall capabilities similar to those found in Linux (above and beyond the router’s natural capabilities). You can alternatively use them to connect to a standard uplink as well I believe. Mine was a rebate deal that after all the dust cleard and settled had a cost of zero dollars. :slight_smile:

yeah so i dont remember everything about windows… good riddance to that nightmare

Amen to that. XP has improved a lot over the 9x series. But when (and if) MS starts insisting on using their firewall they’ll be taking a turn for the worse.

well, it depends on what you mean, for dial up and ISDN connections you need ppp to operate with tcp/ip, sure enough dsl, and cable are making sure its dying, but its still one of the largest protocols out there for handling IP traffic due to the fact you need it for dialup. Sorry… cant convince me its dead seeing as its the only way i’m able to get on the internet right now :slight_smile:
Thats very strange that a hub would have that, though today the distinctions in hubs switches and routers are blurring emensely. Though if you were to ask me, thats what a router/firewall box is for. strange indeed.

Understood. And that’s good to keep for reference. PPP is still very much alive as far as the operating system is concerned you are right. I was just trying to say that here, at this work station, the protocol has been removed entirely. Sorry, not trying to convince just trying to clarify.

One of the customer service reps actually called the home router a network node. With cable internet everything is tcp/ip from the headend down. When traffic gets to my router everything goes to the address that made the outgoing request.

Though if you were to ask me, thats what a router/firewall box is for.
The device I’m recommending is in fact a router. The router necessarily includes a hub. The router also includes a fire wall. But you can use the device as a simple hub if you want to and you get the DHCP server in the bargain. The difference between a switch and a router is that the router shares bandwidth and the switch has dedicated bandwidth for each port. The switch is much faster and can handle large amounts of traffic.

A quick search turns up this router which has DHCP
http://3btech.net/ch4po10brrob.html
and a lot more. I’ve heard some negative reports regarding Netgear and my experience with them hasn’t been perfect but they do have good prices. D-Link has been very good to date. Buyer beware. :slight_smile:

Questions on this diagram, is this with the clip facing up or down ? Got my wires and ready to get started.

http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/xover.gif

clip’s on the side wih the wires. The exposed connection is on the oposite side of the clip.
http://discusions.home.comcast.net/RJ45.jpg

For compatibility you’ll want to connect all the wires so you’ll need a diagram that has the full set of 8 color combo’s.

Not sure what you mean, I just compare one that already has one, so I need all 8 for compatible, even if it is a crossover ?

So the color order will be ?

white,gr
gr
white,red
blue
white,blue
red
white,br
br

or should I leave pin 4,5,7,8 out ?

ha, I say put all the wires in and then go digging in the spare parts pile and the first RJ45 to show is a factory built connector with only 4 wires. %| To be sure though you really should include all 8.

Here’s a very nice page with everything you need to know.
http://www.netspec.com/helpdesk/wiredoc.html
The list you posted above is the same as the crossover in the tutorial so it looks like you are already there.

Can’t you just buy a cross-over cable from a local store or better yet a crossover adaptor? They sell for 99 pence on ebay.

And what would I learn with that ?

Ok, the wires are in and connected to the computers. Anyone know how to check if it’s working ?

scratch that, the eth interrupt isn’t display in debian CAT, what now ?