Anyone know how the Blender .ply file format differs from the norm?

I’ve written a .ply file of geo coodinates so I can model a terrain in Blender. I’ve followed the official Stanford ply format. The file is good, as it imports correctly into FreeCAD and opens as an accuarte image in a standard image viewer. Blender, however, fails to parse it, returning an ‘Index Error’. I’ve tried both the WGS84 and the UK National Grid map coordinate systems, but neither works.
Does anyone know what Blender requires that differs from the standard ply format?
Thanks!

I am not sure if geodetic coordinates are supported by the importer. So alternatively you could preprocess the data and convert the geodetic data to cartesian.

What most likely happens is, that the headers setup is wrong, and in its given interpretation the cumulated amount of data components inside wont be divisble without remainder. In these cases an indexerror is very likely, by just having to much or too less data its more forgiving.

Thanks Debuk. That seems a feasible explanation. Another obstacle to be overcome…
There’s a great add-on, BlenderGIS, that generates terrain models from satellite imagery. Unfortunately, it’s 100-fold too insensitive for what I’m attempting.

I never tried that addon, but you already have your vertexdata in the desired resolution, right?
Then just write a script to transform that into cartesian coord tuples and import that. Importing just vertex data with ply works, I just gave it a try. If its satelite data it should be pretty easy to triangulate.