Anyone know how to do a MIST Pass using Nodes?

Anyone know how to do a MIST Pass using Nodes?

Trying to avoid the transparency issue when using Mist.
I am having a slight problem. With Mist, Blender apparently adjusts the transparency of objects to render mist…as stated by Blender here (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/World/Mist

“Because Mist works by adjusting transparency, this can sometimes cause objects to be partially transparent when they shouldn’t be. One workaround is to set the Mist settings as desired, but turn Mist off. The Mist data is still available for compositing even though it is off. Use Do Composite and the Nodes Editor to feed the Mist pass to an AlphaOver to blend the background color (or a render layer with just the sky) with the rendered image. This produces the mist effect but since Mist is off the object transparency (or lack of) is preserved.”

So I am getting some bleed through of the background into my objects. So I tried to setup these nodes to feed the Mist pass to an AlphaOver as stated. But I am not getting rid of the transparency issue. I’ve tried feeding the Mist pass into Image and Fac slots with no luck. I am sure this is because I don’t have the right node setup.

Anyone have any ideas here on how to solve this???

I think that we need to see exactly what you are talking about … a blend-file, a screen-shot, or better yet, both.

“Mist” is not the only way to achieve “misty.” Consider all of the possible ways that mist, and distance, affect the appearance of an object. One thing that comes to my mind is that distant objects are desaturated. If you are looking at a desaturated image of an object, with appropriate visual depth-cues that tell you that ‘this object is far away,’ and you see ‘misty clouds’ moving in front of them, then your eye is going to tell you that you must be in San Francisco in the early morning.

In fact, “transparency” is not a part of “misty,” to my way of thinking … not at all. The Golden Gate Bridge looks as solid as it ever does, in the sense that I cannot see the hills of the Marin Headlands through it. But the colors are severely attenuated, they are tilted strongly in favor of the color of the fog, and my ability to see the bridge at all is sharply reduced. The clouds of fog that I see in the foreground are simply the familiar explanation for why my eyes are now showing me what they do. I see the effect, and the explanation, and I think, “fog.”

Achieve the effect. Then, separately, provide the explanation.