AO Maps look crumpled

Yup. Same. Tried rendering it first off in 3.0, and got the janky results. Took it over to 2.93, made a new material with a new 1024x image to bake to, and got this perfectly smooth and nice AO bake…

Remember: when in doubt, use the officially released software. Alphas be called alphas for a reason.

Where is the Bake button hiding in the Eevee section?

AFAIK bake is only in cycles possible.

@lyonheart
Same issues with AO baking here. I have a model made entirely in previous Blender versions and baking AO map with the latest 3.0 build gives the same artifacts.

1 Like

Ok, thats what I had. I created a new scene to import the seats to, then saved and zipped that to send. So it must have been set at Eevee setting in the new scene when I imported the seats.

Its working on yours and came out excellent… Dang…

I opened up the file of just the seats and its much nicer but I still see flattened sections, like its unsmoothed. So perhaps its on my computer?

Oddly, 2 weeks ago, I was doing AO maps on another plane, made in 3.0, and it was generating perfect AO maps. I wonder if older files are the issue?

Maybe, maybe not. Reporting a bug might be a good idea.
I can’t imagine that importing old files would result with broken AO from now on.

Fixed… Compiled in 2.93 and it was perfect. That solves that. It must be a bug in 3.0. I’ll let the team at Blender know.

A thousand thanks everyone for your help. Massively appreciated.

2 Likes

Okay…? Discourse just told me i’m talking too much :rofl:

You’ve replied 3 times to @lyonheart in this particular topic!

Wanted to answer:
Maybe you wana investigate maybe really a bug ??
Now @lyonheart alread did that …

It’d probably be a good idea to report anyway, though it’s probably a known problem. 3.0 is using Cycles X for everything now, including baking, and it’s still very much a work in progress.

1 Like

I sent them a report with screenshots and sample file.
Great team. What a brilliant program. I dropped Max 2021 for this. So much more better. Powerful and fast.