AO passes in Cycles

Has anyone had success isolating an AO pass with cycles layers? Is there an equivalent (or workaround) to the “shadows only” material setting in BI?

i don’t use the AO very often but i think that the best solution for you is to bake the AO.

follow this tutorial, it will shows you some tips about texturing in cycles http://blendernerd.com/making-a-rope/

Here is something I have been trying to get right. Basically you have two scenes. You render the shadows in Blender Internal, then your objects in Cycles. Then use the compositor to mix them together.

This scene is close, but I seem to be getting some kind of pixel aspect ratio difference between the two render systems…?

Attachments

26_cycles_BI_composite.blend (1.04 MB)

I’ve done the same thing, and it works. I didn’t seem to have an aspect problem, though. I’ll take a look at the attached.

I was just hoping I could kill two birds with one stone. Or one image=one render, at least. I’m sure it’s a matter of time, and need to be patient.

Atom-
Looks like your images are from two different perspectives? They simply don’t match up?

The cube rotates on the z-axis between the two scenes. I assume you didn’t want that?

Ah, I cross linked the camera between the scenes, but I did not cross link the cube. Thank you for pointing that out. I guess that is one of the burdens of this technique. You have to maintain two synchronized scenes.