Appending camera animation from another .blend file

Hi!

I have a really heavy scene and in order to make animating easier I created a second .blend file from which I removed a lot of details and lowered the poly count drastically.

In this lighter file animating the camera was really easy and responsive. Now I have a good animation that I’m happy with.

Here’s the question:

How can I get the camera animation from the light blender file to my actual blender file?

I tried to append the action of the camera, but it didn’t show up anywhere, or maybe I just can’t find it. How can I append my camera animation action and attach that action to a camera in the other blender file?

You could just append the camera object
You can append the action and then add it to your current camera in the DopeSheet window after you have changed from Dopesheet to Action Editor in the dropdown list in the dopesheet header

Hi!

Thanks for your answer. The strange thing is that when I try to append the camera object, nothing seems to happen. I don’t see any camera added anywhere. I even searched the outline with the letter “cam” and there are 0 results.

I remember struggling with appending before too. What could be wrong when the objects I’m trying to append simply do not appear?

EDIT: I got it! I was trying to append the “camera” inside the .blend file, but I should have looked inside the “object” category in the append list -there was my camera too.

It’s a bit confusing to have a category called camera, which doesn’t seem to do anything, but I’m glad I got it to work now with your kind help!

It’s a bit confusing to have a category called camera, which doesn’t seem to do anything, but I’m glad I got it to work now with your kind help!
That is the cameras data, such its focal length, sensor size, focus point etc. The data that is in the camera properties panel.

Thanks for clearing that out Richard!