appending rigged characters

how can i append a mesh character, and an armature to a file without losing the vertex group bonds to the bones?

You append everything from the Object “tree” in the append menu, NOT the Mesh and Armature sections … which you might logically think to use :slight_smile:

Even better, with 2.42a is to use Groups. In the source file select the mesh(es) and Armature, press CTR-G and make them a group. Use the Object (F7) panel to change the group name.

Then when you append instead of the Object section, use the Group section and just select the group(s) that you want to import.

Mike

alright thanks Mike_s

Sorry to revive this thread, but i made a rigged character in one of my files and used a group to keep it all together.

Now i want to append the whole character in another file and pose him there. But when i append the group from the first file i can then add the mesh via add->group->“groupname”, but i can’t pose him 'cause the group is only a fancy type of an Empty, but he original armature is not available. Is there a way to pose him anyway in the new file?

Werner

When you append the Group from the ‘first’ file it should come with a Mesh, a Poseable Armature and IK Targets intact. I’m not sure why you would want to use Add >> Group as all that does, as you said, is make an instance (although you can make it real with Shft-Ctrl-A).

%<

Thanks for the answer. Interestingly it doesn’t import the single objects used by the group (or at least they don’t show up in any layer) Maybe i’m doing something wrong … do i have to import every single object of the group as well?

I do this becasue it’s the onyl way a get the mesh at all, it was the only way i’ve found. :frowning:

EDIT: I’ll try the Shift-ctrl-a and post here if that’S what i need. Thanks again.

Werner

On a related note:

The funny thing is, when i create a group, then go to another layer and add this group, press Shift-Ctrl-A the duplimat is made real, but the armature doesn’t have any link the the objects anymore (no vertex groups or envelops where used int he original, just parenting to bones)

I still need to check the behaviour with my file a home though.

Werner

[QUOTE=Hoehrer;750805 but i can’t pose him 'cause the group is only a fancy type of an Empty, but he original armature is not available. Is there a way to pose him anyway in the new file?]

Werner[/QUOTE]

Hmm, “fancy kind of empty” … what version of Blender are you using?

When you appended, did you have the Append (should be on by default) or Link button checked (bottom of the append (“Load Library”) screen ?

If you’re using 2.42a and have the Link button on … and then you’re using an empty and the Dupligroup button, … it’s not going to work :smiley:

If you had Link on, that’s why the Armature … or anthing else for that matter that you appended, can not be moved / edited.

With the Append button on, you should be able to do anything with the appended objects.

To use the Link button / Dupligroups etc, you need to use a current CVS version, then use the new “Proxy” objects. You’d append using Link, add an empty/ dupligroup etc, then choose the empty and press CTRL-ALT-p and choose which objects you want to “proxify” (have access to for animation). I.e. the armaure. There is a side benefit to this as well, the mesh is not selectable, giving us “lockable” objects !

Here’s a thread on the new features http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82148

Mike

I’m using 2.42a

I’m pretty sure i had the Append button selected, but I need to check that at home (Debian unstable). An work (Windows) it seems to work as I posted above.

To use the Link button / Dupligroups etc, you need to use a current CVS version, then use the new “Proxy” objects. You’d append using Link, add an empty/ dupligroup etc, then choose the empty and press CTRL-ALT-p and choose which objects you want to “proxify” (have access to for animation). I.e. the armaure. There is a side benefit to this as well, the mesh is not selectable, giving us “lockable” objects !

Here’s a thread on the new features http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82148
Thanks for this preview, I think I will like the next release even more now :slight_smile:

Werner

Ok, i think i’ve found the problem … one of my blend-files is somehow corrupt. Everytime i try to import the group in my second blend file i get a blender-crash now. :-/

$ blender
guessing 'blender-bin' == '/usr/bin/blender-bin'
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
blo_find_main: added new lib ./mech_legs_5.blend
/usr/bin/blender: line 46:  4673 Speicherzugriffsfehler  blender-bin "[email protected]"

Appending it to a fresh file works like a charm :smiley:
That doesn’t really help me in the case at hand though. My last resort would be to import the scene and the character-group into a fresh file, but not if ther eis another way.

Werner