Apple Mac goes ARM with BIG SUR

Interesting developments.

I’ve been a macOS Blenderhead for about 4 years, until early 2019. I enjoyed the hardware build quality, the comfortable OS and the ecosystem, although I do think Apple is more skilled in creating hardware than software. iCloud felt clumsy, apps like iOS Reminders sometimes didn’t update, the autocomplete feature sometimes didn’t synchronize properly between macOS and iOS, and some more quirks.

I was put off by the discontinuation of support for OpenGL, OpenCL and NVIDIA, which was not good for working with Blender on macOS (I could no more render on GPU with Cycles). I was also frustrated by some software being only available for Windows, including some Blender add-ons, simply because the developers had no macOS computer to test it.

So I returned to a Windows system. I’m satisfied with the recent Windows 10 versions, but my iMac screen was noticeably better than my PC screen, even though it is a very good screen. I was also surprised that ZBrush felt a little less responsive on my powerful new Windows PC system than on my comparatively mediocre iMac.

Speaking of ZBrush, I wonder how well that will work on the new ARM macs, as ZBrush relies heavily on CPU power, and was written for Intel CPUs. I can imagine that running ZBrush in ARM emulation mode will cause some speed-decreasing overhead, like running Blender on Metal with a Vulkan wrapper.

All in all, this is another step by Apple in creating more distance between the Apple ecosystem and other systems, such as Windows and Linux. This will undoubtedly cause a lot of hassle for both users and developers during the next few years, comparable with Apple’s transition from Motorola to PowerPC and PowerPC to Intel.

1 Like