Apple Mac goes ARM with BIG SUR

My wife still has an old iMac, while I’ve moved to a Windows PC. I found out that you quickly tend to forget how things work on a different OS after a while, making it puzzling to work with the other system.

1 Like

That’s simply because of a lack of familiarity (and proper manuals, which neither Windows nor macOS provide with). For example, you can drag and drop a file from the Finder onto an app’s file dialog box and it’ll switch to the relevant directory. Also, you can CMD-click on a window’s title and it’ll show up the path to the folder or document.

I have both a PC and a Mac and, despite its own myriad paper cuts, I find the Mac’s UI more comfortable.

3 Likes

I do this all day long on the Mac. Also, absolutely love quick viewing pretty much everything.

To go back to the topic, I’m feeling much better about the Mac and Blender. I’m hoping Cycles will get the Vulcan treatment. Dare I dream of a full fledge Metal with the ARM announcement.

I really miss Quick Look since my move to Windows. :neutral_face:

Seconded. Exciting times.

I missed it as well and found this… Seer (http://1218.io/) I’m just using the free version which works fine for what I need.

1 Like

I should have mentioned that of all the files I can Quick Look at, .blend files are not Quick Look-able.

1 Like

Blender 2.79 is 1000x more difficult to figure out than osx, especially if you’re trying to do things involving PDF without having to install anything from Adobe.

The fact they’ve ported the blender code doesn’t seem especially exciting. BF need someone to support the platform and maintain the code.

To me that sounded outright ridiculous and begging to be nicknamed B…S… Who ever came out with that name… I don’t know, I am speechless.

You mean like for editing a PDF which is natively supported for macOS you need to instal extra apps for Windows ? lol

Yeah the GPU and graphic APIs

Apples Metal push makes sense - in many aspects!

But it does not help when apps like Blender use openGL and thus remain more cross platform.

I - while I prefer macOS over windows - feel apples push for kicking openGL away is a bad move.
True they keep in active for some time.

But I could fully understand if the Blender Foundation would say F Apple and Metal - we dont have the resources to switch.

For larger app makers this is less of an issue because of the market share.

But it was quite nice to see that Apple was highlighting Blender in their demonstration.

I am quite sure apple can scale their ARM CPUs as needed. Why should they not be able to do the same as AMD does.

The part I am honestly the most concerned about is their GPU.

Yes for mobile use etc their GPU is pretty killer. But how does that compare to an RTX Nvidia card?

I am not sure of maybe their special unites like neural network etc actually make up the difference.
At least for video work it seems to be a pretty good tool.

For for CUDA?
Will Lux Render work?
Will Intel Denoise port?

Honestly I don’t care that my 12 core MacPros is from 2010 and 2012.
One has a new AMD card for macOS Metal and the other runs Windows10 with Cuda and has two GTX 1070Ti.

Old cars can still drive fast.
But will the new Macs get close to that GPU performance?

1 Like

I was trying to sign 75 pages on a PDF with my brother digital signature and inserting that signature Page by Page was going to take a lot of time since it’s required manual placement and resizing each time.

foxit PDF on windows does this one time on the first page and you apply for all pages and it does it .

on mac this feature is not supported not even on Foxit on Mac .

this is why I needed to open it on Foxit which didn’t work on the Mac which meant I had to move it to windows in the end and do it there anyways🤪

yeah but you realize that in this case this is a software specific mass task less an OS vs OS task?

what did they port exactly? blender already was running perfectly fine on ARM cpus.

An experienced Automator app user could probably do that with the Preview app in a fraction of the time.

Why do you think it’s bombastic? It’s the name of an existing place. Not more, not less. What would have been a better name in your opinion?

Sometimes it feels like people have an opinion just for the sake of having an opinion. But that’s just my opinion.

QuickLook is also available for WIndows.

1 Like

yeah but by far not where quicklook is under Catalina.

It sounds like big sour and is a perfect description of how i would feel if i were forced to use a Mac.

For what it’s worth, sur means south in Spanish.

I’ve seen conflicting info, but does the end result of this mean extra work for Blender devs to support Mac?