Apply Armature Modifier in 2.40?

Can you actually apply the armature modifier to a mesh in the new 2.40?

Basically, what I’m try to do is create a new shape key. I have a face with a mouth in closed position and I rigged up a jaw armature to open the mouth. Super, looks good, and the weight painting makes it look great. But what I REALLY want is to have a Shape Key with the newly created “Open” shape. I’m far too lazy to re-create the “open” shape key by hand, but I really want to use the Shape key instead of the armature to represent the open mouth (keeps lip syncing limited to the Shapes, rather than mixing Armature poses and shapes).

Is this possible? Does the “Apply” button even do anything with the Armature modifier?

As a more general question, does the “Apply” button for the Armature modifier do anything at all? Or is on the TODO list? Or not to be implemented at all?

I have a testing build, might be the orange branch (I can’t remember) but the Apply button works for me. It removes the armature modifier and keeps the mesh in the deformed state.

I haven’t tried doing what you are though, so maybe it doesn’t work when trying to add a shape key.

If I have more time, I will check that.

<<EDIT:>>

Ok, i did some more testing.

It looks like as soon as you have a shape key assigned (even just the base one) that the Apply does not work for the Armature modifier.

I think this is a bug and should be reported.

As a work-around, you could try the Apply deformation script.

<<EDIT2:>>

Well, when I tried the apply deformation script, I got an error.

I think it has to do with Subsurf being a modifier now. I don’t know python or the Blender API, so I don’t know how to fix it.