Apply armature to mesh with automatic weights makes it really distort (the noob tour)

Hi again. Apparently this first figure rig is going to generate lots of questions. Hope they are useful to others down the line…

This is what happens when i apply the armature to the mesh of this figure:

I thought maybe it was because the median point of the figure was in a really weird spot outside the figure - don’t know how that happened… But i fixed that (Object menu > transform > origin to center of mass) and it made no difference. I made sure the bones were nicely lined up in the middle of their respective limbs and everything… the IK bones have the ‘deform’ box unchecked in the bone properties menu… What else could be wrong?
:Dthanks

Before parenting, make sure you have applied the scales and rotations on both the mesh object and the armature object (ctrl-A in Object Mode). Then make sure your armature is in Pose Mode and clear its pose (A to select all, Alt-G to clear location changes on each bone, Alt-R to clear rotations, Alt-S to clear scalings). Then you can parent with automatic weights and it should be a much better result.

Okay, i did that, didn’t help though. Maybe it was a mistake to make a figure with arms at its sides, there is stuff close together that needs to move independently…
Am i going to need to parent to the mesh in a different mode? I’ve never done it of course, but maybe i can find a tutorial…

To add, now that i’ve read the new replies on my thread about IK bone problems, the figure has topology problems and those would have to be worked out before the figure can be successfully rigged. I don’t know if weight painting could maybe get me a workable rig, but i think i’ll let it go for now and continue modeling lessons in the Noob to Pro handbook.

Yeah, it’s more standard to model in a T-pose for several reasons, bone weighting being only one of them. And without good topology, your rig will only get you so far.

Noob to Pro is…OK. Check out Blender Cookie while you’re at it.