"Apply Bone Heat Weight" problem - help!

I am having a lot of trouble applying a basic bone heat weight to a glove area. Here is a .blend file and some images. I’ve never had any problems like this so I’m really confused.

I applied the heat weight to the right-side glove and then when I tried to do it to the other side the weights went all crazy. Look at the clearer image below. It shows the thumb bone heat weight being applied to a large glove area (green area). Thats not right! :no:

The correct applied heat deformation is shown in the darker picture. Sorry about the unclear image but for some reason my weight paint mode always shows one of the sides too dark. But you can see that the thumb bone area is weighted reasonably correct. Much different from the other bone. Why?

I’ve been bumping my head for two days now. :frowning: Any suggestions?

I could propably redo the whole rig, but thats way too much work. I’ve already meticulously laboured over the rest of the model. I REALLY hope I don’t have to.

It has to be something really simple…

To me it seems to be trying to calculate the average between to heat weight areas or something. But what and from where?

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help. :smiley:

Attachments

HeatWeightProblem.blend (220 KB)

Okay, I’ve rebuild the rig and the problem is still there. Even more. I have rebuild the whole glove and nothings changed. The weights are still distributed like mad.

WTF!

This is impossible… have I found a bug in blender or what is this?

Wait,… no sorry. The new glove did work. So there is something with the glove that is giving the problem. But what. I’ve cleaned it totally… EVERYTHING. Materials, textures, every vertex assigned piece of $#!^!

You have GOT TO BE $^&ing me!!

It was the freaking normals that were flipped inside! LOL!

So my problem is solved! YEAH!!

Why does it always have to be these small things that end up being so significant…? Oh, well, hope my personal hell will prove usefull to someone else.

It’s not a small thing … normals are as significant as vertices, edges and faces (they are needed for shading, used for displacement, can give particles a direction, etc.)

In almost any situation with an error or unexpected result, it’s best to first check the normals. Better yet, get in the habit of automatically recalculating them on a regular basis, esp. after adding/removing geometry during modeling.

BTW: glad you got it sorted out!