Applying a JPG to a picture-frame (or equiv)

Newbie question on texture or materials in 2.80:
Assume my ‘picture-frame’ object is a simple square plane 1m H(Y) x 1m W(X) x 0.01m thick (Z). One square XY face is selected and highlighted in the 3D viewport.
I loaded a JPG file into Material001’s properties, and I saw that image thumbnail appear in the material’s properties. I think I applied the material to the face, but no graphics appeared either in the 3D viewport or (after re-rendering) in the render view. I do not want any Z modulation as a texture, it should be smooth like a printed photo.
Note that 2.80 does not have ‘Load Image as Plane’ although I can load an image to the background.
I also tried the same using the node editor, but again although the review showed the image there was nothing on the selected face of the object rendered object. I could find no tutorial for this simple application, just for complex physically textured woodgrains etc.
The JPG is quite big, about 6500 x 1200pixels. Is this too large?

So can anyone point me to a step-by-step explanation of something as simple as this? Other tutorials talk about UV wrapping, projection and so on with complex objects but (for me) they skip the simplest steps needed to carry out this simple operation.
Afterwards I will contribute to the Blender 2.80 manual with any missing information or guidance.
Thanks in anticipation.

But 2.8 does have the import images as planes addon…

OK the add-on ‘Import Image as Plane’ worked automatically. Great!
Now every time I want an image on an item I can do the above, and then attach the plane to the object’s face. Crude but effective.

Next, I will study tutorials on mapping and wrapping an image to non-planar surfaces.

For a single quad on an object, can’t you just do uv/unwrap or even uv/reset (probably even more might work)? For more complex stuff that is relatively planar, orient to face (rotate the view or temporarily re-orient the object) the plane and hit uv/project from view bounds.

If you want other coords for the remainder of the frame (border, backside), you can create another UV channel and create separate UVs for those if you don’t want overlapping UVs.

@CarlG Thanks I first need to decode what you advise in terms of the Blender UI (A newcomer doesn’t recognise operations like’ just do uv/unwrap’, ’ uv/reset’, or ‘hit uv/project from view bounds’. ) I am pleased that I know what a ‘quad’ is though.

No doubt all will become clear.
As a long-term expert with complex CAD and EDA (electronic design appls) and myriad software environments, I know the problems of explaining to newbies (it’s impossible to conceive how ignorant oneself was when starting). That doesn’t mean I am enjoying feeling powerless in the face of the machine though :wink: