Applying rig scatters the objects.

I’ve made an aircraft model from several objects and was about to link the armature to the objects when this happened :S

I just started learning rigging, it all went okay at the beginning however the automatic weights did some weird stuff.

Can I ask why you are rigging this? Does it have a lot of moving parts?

This is one of those instances where your just going to have to post a blend file…

One thing you can check:
Before applying the armature (and even before you parent your objects to a rig) select all your mesh objects and go to the Object menu > Apply > Rotation & Scale.

The four wings can move up and down.

There it is: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/19814

Can’t find that.

Maybe you should try it the other way around. Open a new blend file add the armature first then append the plane into the new file. Append F1 or go through the menu file list. Good luck.

At the bottom of the 3D View there are three menus: View, Select and Object. Just click on Object and you’ll see it.

So? Already solved by joining some of the objects but I’d like to know what was the cause of the error.

You’re very welcome.

Okay looking at your file …

however the automatic weights did some weird stuff.

You do not have an Armature in this file for any Automatic weights to be applied too…
no Armature… no weights… (at least none that will effect animation)

you have 35 objects named cube… in an object this complex you need to have a name for each and every object… even if it’s Left Front wing ding thing… at least then you can easily look at a object name and have some idea of what it is…
my scenes are filled with Widgets, hootuses, dingledungs, whatnots, and thingOberries…

It appears that many if not all or your objects have been moved and rotated into position in Object mode and not in Edit mode… This can cause lots of problems during Animation… the easiest way to fix this is to select all your Objects… (in Object mode) then…

Along the bottom tool bar of the 3D window find the word Object… >
Click on it with your Left mouse button… >
a pull up menu will appear… >
slide your mouse cursor up the menu to the word “Apply”… >
you then will see another fly out menu … >
slide your mouse cusor out to the right and down to select the words … >
“Rotation and Scale”

you have just applied any Rotation and Scaling that you have done in Object mode to your Objects in their respective Edit mode… This will make Animation work out much better…

the Object named Rear Wing Left has it’s Pivot point in the middle of the Fuselage not out on the Wing Object it’s self… you need to place that pivot on or around that object…

In fact all 4 of the Wings have their Pivot points out in the center of the Fuselage… and that is where they will be pivoting from unless you change those pivots to another more logical location…

I see that Rear Wing Left… Is parented to cube.004… Since that is the case… I’m assuming you want that Wing to connect to cube.004 and stay there or maybe even Pivot there or Pivot with cube.004… Thus you need to change the pivot point of ‘Rear Wing Left’ such that it aligns with cube.004…

To do this…
Select cube.004…>
press the key combination of Shift key and the S key (Shift+S)…>
a popup menu appears…>
you want to select… ‘Cursor to Selected’
(this moves the 3D Cursor to the pivot point of the currently selected object)

Now Select Rear Wing Left…>
go again to the bottom tool bar…>
click on the word Object…>
when the Pull up menu comes up slide your mouse cursor up to the word… >
Transform…>
A second pull up menu appears and you now want to find the words… >
Origon to 3D cursor…
Rear Wing Left now has the same Pivot point as cube.004…

now just do the same proceedure to the other 3 Wings…

there are other things that don’t seem right but it’s late here and I need to hit the sack so do those things and see if things don’t start working better…