APRICOT: Blender Foundation open game project.

personally, I think that it would take a genius to donate their time in order to “fix” the GE.

because it takes a directed approach and the more people involved in something like this - the less directed it would become most probably

personally - I think the GE is going to get replaced. Because first it would have to catch up to Ogre/CS and THEN it would have to surpass them, and catch up with DirectX10 stuff.

I just think developers could skip the whole, “catch up” phase, and start working with Ogre/CS.

I mean, the younger programmers are studying the next-gen coding techniques, not the blender GE type code, which I think I’ve heard is somewhat archaic.

I love the GE - the GE can live on in spirit. As long as the logic bricks and integration with blender remain. The GE has built a strong community with an interest in game development. I think that that could be it’s legacy right there. No disrespect to it. I loves it. But I don’t see the point in having developers compete with Ogre/CS when they could just work alongside them.

The GE wasn’t reenabled due to the protestations of the community so much as it was because a developer fixed some of the issues that were broken in it which had resulted in it being disabled for the official build.

To solve this issue we need to eliminate some of the barriers to debugging and developing the GE. I fell the primary barrier is one of documentation.

A competent developer can read the code and get up to speed relatively quickly enough to add new features. The barrier is competent coders interested in developing the game engine. If you are a skilled C or C++ coder then you will have no problem using more advanced engines such as Crystal Space or Ogre.

Second barrier is that the GE is GPL - most GE developers have dreams of commercial games and using GPL isn’t very attractive.

Once Ogre is integrated as a display engine, Blender will become much more attractive to GE coders for prototyping their Ogre based game.

If we switch to LGPL (not highly likely but possible) then that would further increase devs interested.

LetterRip

Just thinking… Apricot’s main plot probably will be related to Peach’s history…

Usually games made from movies are far away of the best… :eyebrowlift2:

What do you think?

i think reading this thread actually makes people dumber, ouch, my head… :frowning:

i think reading this thread actually makes people dumber, ouch, my head… :(?

:)) lol ! Really?

To avoid your headache i recomend you sticking to my last question:

Do you like any games based on movies and why?

The call for participation in the Peach project is the same for the Apricot project? or there will be another call for participation?

Do you like any games based on movies and why?
Not all the games made from movies are good, for example “Path of Neo”… and not all movies are good to become games. Although with the right story, direction, screenplay etc. it could be possible to make a good game.

:slight_smile:

“Not all the games made from movies are good”

Thats for sure! Abst agree!.

I think most of the time videogames made from movies are to much “tied” to the movie storyline… you know…? The same characters, the same storyline, no surprises… : ( It doesn’t need to be this way!

Lol… :yes: Did you watch “Pirates of the Caribean”? To me, this movie is based on Monkey Island series…! :wink: <<< This is not true but, somehow, sounds like… : )
i don’t know how to explain… booth have the same “mood” do you know what i mean? They are a perfect couple in my opinion.

About the call i guess it is the same : S

http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/2007-plans/peach-open-movie/recruitment/

No the calls are seperate,

the call for artists for the game won’t happen for a number of months yet.

LetterRip

haha… yeah, that movie is so funny as much as the game it self, and I have another example… to me, “Children of Men” is based on “Half-Life” game hehe, maybe only for me, but I think they same some likeness, not the history itself but, :rolleyes: well you know…:yes:

Thanks LetterRip :yes:, I was so confused… then another call for game artists is going to happen soon :o, thanks.

" No the calls are seperate,

the call for artists for the game won’t happen for a number of months yet." <<< LetterRip

Really?
Hey thanks!

I was following Bart’s post :o

Could you post what is your source for the schedule LetterRip? I want to put it in my “favorites” bar ; )

“Children of Men” is based on “Half-Life” game" <<< mataii

Perfect : ))! You just need to put glasses in Clive Owen’s face, lol!. :cool:<

http://fotos.sapo.pt/n0c0dde/pic/0002w0yg/s340x255

http://www.baerlinonline.de/clan-verzeichnis/img/hl2-cover.jpg

I think focus should be more on re-usable modules like physics, graphics renderer and sound.
Framework and logic is difficult to re-use unless it is a general purpose scripting language like Python or Lua. Although Crystal Space ‘CEL’ logic, or Blender game logic bricks could be made re-usable, it would be a more interesting to see a user interface that allows authoring of both CEL and BGE logic bricks and more generic finite state machines/AI/logic systems.

If and only if CrystalSpace would be using Bullet, then there would be benefits for Blender Game Engine. If instead the project goes with ODE, it would be taking efforts into a different direction which is not beneficial for the BGE.

Bullet collision detection is one of the parts that is used in professional games (and other areas), including Playstation 3 and XBox 360 games (sorry, cannot give names, but they are AAA).

There is room for several engines, and open source like BGE +Ogre, CrystalSpace, Irlight and others should benefit from eachother, healthy competition.

I hope CrystalSpace will choose Bullet for some collaboration, and perhaps we see a new BGE based on Ogre+Bullet (with ZLib / BSD license!) next year. I want to congratulate Jorrit and Crystal Space team with the premiere and the best of luck.

Erwin

If and only if CrystalSpace would be using Bullet,

Crystalspace is open source… if someone implemented Bullet I bet they would be more than happy to use it. (Hint hint hint hint.)
They can already use Collada, dosent that support bullet already?
anyways
I hope they can use bullet too, I dont care much for ODE.

[deleted by toonist] Sorry for enterrupting :wink:

Two notes: we cannot use collada yet. It is a Google Summer of Code project so hopefully after the summer we can. Second note: we already have a bullet plugin in Crystal Space and it works to some degree. Just needs a little maintenance work. I will certainly keep it in mind to use the Bullet plugin for Apricot. As Erwin says that brings the Apricot game closer to what the BGE is and can do so this is useful to investigate.

Greetings,

hmm bullet in cyrtal space and blender… now this is getting interesting :wink:

Rules for “Peach” are clear.

Iam confused about HOW to aply this project.

Does we need to be part of this conference to apply? >>>

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Conference2007

Also Iam not able to login inside Apricot’s main Thread:

https://www.crystalspace3d.org/forum/index.php/board,20.0.html :S

(& yes, i registered inside CS main website)

You can’t apply for Apricot right now. We haven’t started that.

Greetings,

no need for “applications” we’re friends right, buddy ;p

Crystal Space does can use bullet instead of CEL, just that it needs some minor work to get it up to speed with the ODE physics plugin. If theres interest and reason to develop it, then someone would most likely pick it up and also finish it.