Apsolute shape keys tutorials...

Hi there.

Can anyone recommend any tutorials on absolute shape keys? Not relative shape keys. I have an object that needs to transform through a series of shapes, and I think this will be the best way to do it… but I can’t work it out. I found an old pre-2.5 example file, but it doesn’t even animate through the shapes on current Blender.

Here is an example of how I do use absolute shape keys, perhaps someone else has a better way.

1. Add the Basis key, deselect relative, set Frame number to 1 if it isn’t already, hover the mouse over Evaluation time (set to zero) and press I to insert a keyframe.
  2. Go to Frame 10, add Shape key, go into edit mode and change the shape of your mesh or curve, while in edit mode change Evaluation time to 10 and insert a key frame.
  3. Go into object mode, click on the black triangle in the shape keys panel and select New shape from mix. Go into edit mode, modify the mesh, change Evaluation time to 20 and insert a keyframe.
  4. Repeat step 3 changing the frame number and Evaluation each time.
  5. You can alter the timing of the animation by playing with the F-curve for Evaluation time.

AbsoluteShapeKeys.blend (504 KB)

2 Likes

Thankyou… That seems to work. :slight_smile: