Aqsis 1.8 hangs on export

I’m using Aqsis 1.8 (just released Feb 29th) and Blender 2.49b, and exporting with MOSAIC Beta-4.7. All looks good in the system console during export, but when Aqsis starts, I get an error:
----------------------------
Processing shaders…

• Writing Shader bumpy.sl…
    – Compiling Shader bumpy.sl…
    … bumpy.slx
  • Writing Shader bumpy.sl.001…
    – Compiling Shader bumpy.sl.001…
    … bumpy.slx
  • Writing Shader bumpy.slx…
    – Compiling Shader bumpy.slx…
    03/02/2012 19:33:00 ERROR: bumpy.slx : 2 : syntax error
    03/02/2012 19:33:00 ERROR: Shader not compiled
  • Writing Shader dented.sl…
    – Compiling Shader dented.sl…
    … dented.slx
  • Writing Shader IDbrushedmetal.sl…
    – Compiling Shader IDbrushedmetal.sl…
    … IDbrushedmetal.slx
  • Writing Shader LG_orennayar.sl…
    – Compiling Shader LG_orennayar.sl…
    … LG_orennayar.slx
  • Writing Shader LGVeinedMarble.sl…
    – Compiling Shader LGVeinedMarble.sl…
    … LGVeinedMarble.slx
  • Writing Shader maya_fur.sl…
    – Compiling Shader maya_fur.sl…
    … maya_fur.slx
  • Writing Shader MOSAICbackground.sl…
    – Compiling Shader MOSAICbackground.sl…
    … MOSAICbackground.slx
  • Writing Shader MOSAICdisplace.sl…
    – Compiling Shader MOSAICdisplace.sl…
    … MOSAICdisplace.slx
  • Writing Shader MOSAICfog.sl…
    – Compiling Shader MOSAICfog.sl…
    … MOSAICfog.slx
  • Writing Shader MOSAIClight.sl…
    – Compiling Shader MOSAIClight.sl…
    … MOSAIClight.slx
  • Writing Shader MOSAICsurface.sl…
    – Compiling Shader MOSAICsurface.sl…
    … MOSAICsurface.slx
  • Writing Shader plastic.sl…
    – Compiling Shader plastic.sl…
    … plastic.slx
  • Writing Shader shinymetal.sl…
    – Compiling Shader shinymetal.sl…
    … shinymetal.slx

Processing maps…

Export complete at: 07:33:02pm 03/02/2012
Total export time: 4.33699989319 Seconds

Render starting at: 07:33:02pm 03/02/2012

Rendering Pass0/0 With: aqsis “PASS1-Scene-DEFAULT.rib”
03/02/2012 19:33:04 ERROR: Error reading from socket 10035
----------------------------------------------------------------------

and then it just hangs, and Blender and Aqsis freeze. I have no idea what that error means. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been waiting for the 1.8 release for months, and now I can’t even try it out, lol. The irony…

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

That’s very odd. Could you try some basic command line rendering of the supplied examples, just to prove that Aqsis is working properly at all.

I’ve never been able to test on Windows7 64bit, so it’s entirely feasible that there is a problem.

If you could render vase.rib from the examples and see if that works, then perhaps we can drill a bit deeper to find the cause.

Cheers

Paul

I tried to render the vase.rib in examples and get this (on win vista 64bit):

=== Compiling Shader(s) ===

Warning: Cannot open file “dented.slx”
Warning: Cannot open file “shadowspot.slx”

=== Rendering File(s) ===

03/03/2012 21:52:48 ERROR: Parse error at vase.rib:
keShadow: Could not find file shad1.shad in RI sear
03/03/2012 21:52:48 ERROR: Parse error at vase.rib:
keShadow: Could not find file shad2.shad in RI sear
03/03/2012 21:52:50 ERROR: Error reading from socke
Frame (3) 2.22% complete [ 19 secs / 835 left ]

That looks suspiciously like the permissions issue I saw the other day. The examples are installed to the same place (Program Files) as the rest, which is read only.

Could you try copying the examples folder to a different location, like your “My Documents” folder, and rendering from there.

Cheers

Paul

I tried what you asked but still get this error:

=== Compiling Shader(s) ===

=== Rendering File(s) ===

03/04/2012 10:12:42 ERROR: Error reading from socket 10035
Frame (3) 2.22% complete [ 20 secs / 879 left ]

I tried that too; copied the folder “vase” with all its contents to “My Documents”, opened Aqsis and tried rendering. I still get the same error in Aqsis’ console. How odd! At least I know it’s not a Blender export issue, that at least narrows the problem down a little.

Could this be registry key related? I uninstalled version 1.6 just before installing 1.8.

P.S. I just tried installing Aqsis 1.8 in my VMWare Player Windows XP 32-bit virtual machine. It failed and gave me an error when I tried to start it: “eqsl.exe The application has failed to start because its installation configuration is incorrect.”

I also noticed something odd just now. I opened Aqsis, tried to render something, got the error, then X’ed out of Aqsis and the console. I tried the other thing you suggested, then X’ed out of it again. I guess I did that three times.

But after a few minutes I noticed my computer getting louder, like the fans were working harder. My CPU’s at 75% all the sudden, so I opened up Task Manager and noticed that there are still three instances of Aqsis processes open, trying to render apparently, even though I closed all of them. Peculiar!

This is all very strange. The fact that the error message you’re getting suggests a socket error, sort of hints that it might be an issue communicating with the ‘piqsl’ display, which is done via sockets. A few things to check…

1. Does piqsl run properly on it’s own?
  2. Can you render vase by changing to the ‘file’ display, instead of the ‘framebuffer’ one?
  3. Are there any firewall’s blocking the sockets at all? (have you successfully rendered with Aqsis <1.8.0?)

Paul

Hi Paul,

1. Yep, piqsl runs properly by itself for me.
  2. I’m not sure I understand how to change to file display instead of framebuffer… :slight_smile:
  3. I have been able to render with version 1.6 in the past, with varying degrees of success (.tiff problems, shader problems, etc., that I just don’t understand enough to be able to fix them). But yeah, I’ve been able to render with other versions.

I also tried installing on my laptop just now (Windows XP 32-bit), and I get the same error message in the console. Is something not installing correctly?

Paul, I saw on the aqsis.org homepage the announcement about the broken binaries :frowning: Makes me sad! I have no successful experience with compiling (I even tried taking a stab at it and started to install the aqsis dependencies the other day, and I just found myself making a mess of it and gave up), so I guess I’ll have to wait for the update.

What do you expect in terms of timeline for the update release? I’ve actually gotten RIB Mosaic working fairly well in 2.58 and I’ve been so anxious to try out Aqsis 1.8!!

bumping the thread, i guess… i just installed the 1.8.1 patch, hoping the issues would be fixed. they don’t seem to be, i’m still getting the same error message “error reading from socket 10035” and also “error reading from socket 10054” now. guess i’ll have to stick to 3delight :frowning:

http://www.mtsconverter.nl
Using MTS Video Converter, you can convert MTS files into other popular video formats like AVI, MP4, MPG, WMV, FLV, MP3, WAV and etc. in order to play on iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Zune, PSP, PS3, Creative Zen, Archos, and other Video players and audio players.

wow, thank you, spambot.

well, i got it compiled on Ubuntu 11.04, it’s working fairly well. finally getting to use the point cloud occlusion - very cool! but i’m getting weird normal errors (or something?) using RIB Mosaic and Blender 2.58 (official release). but using Aqsis 1.8.1 with Blender 2.49 and MOSAIC, i don’t get the same normal errors. why do you suppose that is?

i also have no idea how to use the indirect lighting functionality. are there any tutorials floating around about how to set that up with RIB Mosaic?

here are the normal errors(?) i’m talking about :
[ATTACH=CONFIG]176199[/ATTACH]

the red Suzanne is using an unapplied subsurf modifier, and the blue one has had the subsurf modifier applied.