Ar

hello all,
I am getting very close to actually finishing my first rigged character, and trying to get it ready for BGE. I have worked out a lot of problems on my own so far, but can’t figure this one out.

I have my mesh completed, and I am putting the rig together piece by piece and testing it as I go, so I don’t have to go back too much in the end to fix it all. I have had great success on the left side so far, with the arm, hand and fingers (Thank you David Ward at blendercookie.com for the BC Baker series, I love the finger rig and have used it and modified it a little because all I need my character to have is either a gripped hand for grabbing or an open hand, so I used a control bone that all the finger bones copy the rotation of), but I digress.

So the left side from the waist up works great, for the first time ever in 3 years of blendering, I have something that works and I am proud of.

Then, when I duplicate all the arm bones and scale them across the x axis and rename them for use on the right side, the influence of the armature seems like it is not as great, and I am getting some weird deforms, like the right hand won’t follow correctly. My setup: I used an armature modifier on my mesh, and bound it only to vertex groups, not envelopes. I have named all the vertex groups as I want them to deform, and named the appropriate bones with the same names. All the deform bones are checked to Deform in the Bone panel. I thought I worked through this problem last night for the left side, and now the left side behaves exactly as I wish, but I can’t for the life of me remember how I made that happen (my first time seriously attempting rigging, and I spent several hours at it last night, but dammit, I figured it out on my own, now I can’t remember how).

I have tried the options of removing the armature modifier from the mesh and then reapplying it, no luck. I have tried renaming the bones and the vertex groups, no luck. I made sure my bones were rolled with the z-axes all facing upward, still no luck (maybe this is the problem?)

To be fair, I am re-rigging the right arm, and have not rigged the entire thing yet (with the hand and the fingers taking up a lot of time), but with the duplicate of the left arm bones I tried earlier, it still exhibited this diminished influence. So now I am rigging out distally from the center and trying as I go. Do I need to rig the entire arm (hand and fingers included), before it will behave?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I would send the blend file mesh portion I am having problems with if I can figure out how to send it (it seems we can only upload so large a file).

Anyway, any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

personally it seems like a slightly odd idea to make half an armature and mirror it.
I would have used the “mirror extrude” as i made the armature and “mirror x” when in weight painting mode, this way you can work on both sides at the same time, saving the problems you are having. A way to fix though would be to simply clear all the vertex groups, un-parent the mesh from the armature, delete the armature modifier and start weight painting again.

you could post the .blend at pasteall.org and post the link to it here…

Randy

Thanks,
I will try those two solutions. First pasting the link and then, how do I do the mirror extrude? Sorry, just woke up and not thinking clearly yet, though this may be obvious to me later.

Mike