Architecture - street of houses

architecture
archviz

(LooKahs) #1

First render with Blender from a month ago. Sadly, I haven’t had a chance to carry on since then, but hope to when I have a moment! … I have a ‘library room’ project I’ve been designing and will attempt to render in the future. But I have a ton of learning to do for that to get the result I want.

So far I’ve been very impressed with blender. I have however found the ‘group-pro’ plugin worthwhile when dealing with architecture. I do keep on finding the lack of precise-dimension entry to be irritating, but what can you do.

(Dimitar) #2

Nice image and welcome to the community :slight_smile: Good to see something more conceptual and architectural being posted.

Blender can actually be used in quite a precise manner. Have you tried the properties panel in the 3d viewport (hotkey “n”) on top of that toolbar, you can enter the precise coordinates of object origin points, vertices, edges and faces. You can even enter simple math formulas.

(LooKahs) #3

I guess when I said it’s irritating, I meant it in comparison to other programs I’m used to - where dimension input is very much part of each step you make, rather than somewhat convoluted (in my mind) after-thought.

I have found a nice plugin called ‘NP Station’ … It’s handy when quickly moving groups, etc. :slight_smile:

(Dimitar) #4

Yep, blender lacks basepoint transformations like SketchUp, rhino, and AutoCAD. And yes NP station is the closest it seems out there for base point transformations, although I haven’t had any luck with rotate. There is also a paid add-on from blender market called snap utilities but the snapping is awful in my experience.

If your are interested, I’ve made a tutorial ( with terrible audio for which I must apologize) for some of the most useful add-ons for architectural design:

(LooKahs) #5

Hah, it’s you! I came across this video a while ago now. This is where I learnt of NP station and the GIS plugin.

I was playing about with the GIS plugin this afternoon to see whether I could use it to fake a ‘real’ architectural model.

I’d love to get The Grove and grasswald… but they’re both very expensive.

Also, for actual design work/building I prefer sketchup and then importing into Blender and tidying up and only doing things which cannot be done in Sketchup in Blender.

(Dimitar) #6

That’s a good start for the model as there is no tiling effect. Is this in eevee? Would be good to place a couple of grunge textures as overlays.

I do these kind of views all the time, so may do a tutorial.Here is an example:

(Dimitar) #7

By the way, now that I am looking at your drawing on a proper monitor there are a few things that may be improved:

• In terms of the composition of the image, the central focus is currently the autumn tree on the left hand side since it is quite large and the leaves quite bright, wherease the architectre is gree and almost mundane.
  • The somall shrubs that are yet to grow large in the foreground are also quite bright compared to the color tone of the rest of the image.
  • A bit of photoshopping shadows with the burn tool could help with the shadows around the ground fplane and between the garage of one house and the garage of the second
  • In regards to the architecture, the roof typically overhangs slightly over the walls
  • Everything is quite angular in the composition. If you insert some kind of prop in the front yard of the house, it may soften the composition and provide a human element. The prop may be a child’s toy bicyle, or a bench or flowers, etc.
  • Try beveling the edges of the brick walls a litlle
  • Image is quite gray, maybe play a little with slight hues in the brick ofor the wall and the doors.

Also, good job with the ground textures, the grass, and the weeds growing from the ground

(LooKahs) #8

No, I’m still reluctant to jump over to 2.8 as I’ve no idea what the shortcuts are and I think the GroupPro plugin doesn’t work with 2.8 yet without which it irritates me too much. … That was just a screengrab from the viewport. I wanted to see how easy it is to translate the Blender GIS into something along those lines. … My main confusion was regarding the road and how to nicely deal with that.

I love what you’ve done with yours! The colours, the contrast for the proposed all look great. Also a nice little touch of the miniature trees and ‘scale’ people/cars. … I’d be super keen to see a tutorial if you could be bothered. … In the office there is just no time/money/people to be doing proper wooden models. But, a ‘cheat’ like this - would still look great on the website.

(LooKahs) #9

* In terms of the composition of the image, the central focus is currently the autumn tree on the left hand side since it is quite large and the leaves quite bright, wherease the architectre is gree and almost mundane.
Provided the architecture cannot change (e.g. client wants it slightly mundane/safe) how would you personally tweak the composition?

* The somall shrubs that are yet to grow large in the foreground are also quite bright compared to the color tone of the rest of the image.
Good point. I must’ve stared at them long enough and thought ‘something’s is off, not sure what’ and then given up :slight_smile:

* A bit of photoshopping shadows with the burn tool could help with the shadows around the ground fplane and between the garage of one house and the garage of the second
Will try those things on the next one

* In regards to the architecture, the roof typically overhangs slightly over the walls
This one doesn’t. There is a concealed gutter that isn’t visible due to the angle.

A few nice examples of well detailed roofs:

* Everything is quite angular in the composition. If you insert some kind of prop in the front yard of the house, it may soften the composition and provide a human element. The prop may be a child’s toy bicyle, or a bench or flowers, etc.
Agreed. It could do with a few ‘personal’ touches. However, I get overruled on this aspect :slight_smile:

* Try beveling the edges of the brick walls a litlle
Will try! … brick are obviously square, but I presume beveling somehow makes it feel more real?

* Image is quite gray, maybe play a little with slight hues in the brick ofor the wall and the doors.
Choice of colour was on the safe side. I’d have pink brick if I could :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll try to bear in mind for the next one I do… hopefully soon sometime.

P.S. I actually found it very difficult to find decent ‘contemporary’ architectural textures. I’ve been using Poliigon, and while it has ton of textures for certain things, it’s a bit scarce on bricks, roofing and paving I thought. … A lot of the architectural textures I thought were better suited for McMansions rather than european buildings.