Archviz exercise - trying to attain commercial level, need help from the pros :)

Hi everyone,
This is probably my best render to date.
I’ve already gone through a round of criticism and fix-ups through the WIP board and the blender group on facebook, and would be happy to hear any further suggestions on how make a professional architectural visualization.

Thanks!

Attachments

Hey FinalCut, I’m working towords the same thing for my website right now. I have done some prof archviz renders for a company I work so I have a little experience.

The thing that sticks out most on yours is scale. The scale of the building does no reflect the size of the benches and light posts. Right now it looks like your building is approx 20’ wide x 50’ long x 30’ high. I’m thinking you would rather that type of commercial building to be at least double those dimensions or much wider if you dont want to go taller. Also think about making the grass area at the far right to be a parking lot with concrete curb and a wheel chair ramp. I would maybe suggest using actual dimensions or a reference building for practice until you get the feel for scale.

Also the tree leaves are a bit too green maybe go for a lighter green yellow grayish color or use a real leaf image.

To finish you need some type of background. For example you could just do a dense area of trees or and image or what we do sometimes is place building type objects that represent actual buildings around the proposed building but to save time we leave them white or light gray so the focus is the proposed building.

Sorry to go long…other than that the grass is terrific and the overall coloring and materials look great!
Keep up the good work and Happy Blending:)

Thanks Derek!

I think the main insight I got from the comments I received so far is:
Think and plan carefully before starting to work!
I didn’t really give much functional thought into the building, it’s purpose, surroundings etc, before plunging right into the modeling :smiley:

I’ll definitely take into account the scale and adding a parking lot in the next version of this image.

About the leaves: I did use an image based texture (a real leaf I scanned myself), but the color definitely needs work. I would also like to add some variation, but I’m not sure how to do that with the sapling add-on’s leaves.

I thought that I might add another UV map for the leaves (in addition to the single-UV-shell-for-all-leaves kind of map created automatically by the add-on).
The additional UV map will be a simple unwrap (which will create as many little adjacent rectangles as there are leaves) to which I’ll map a noise texture in overlay mode. That might add nice random looking variation.

If anyone has a simpler way, I’d be grateful!

Cheers :slight_smile:

Oh and another question,

Someone told me that the street lamp’s design (old / victorian) doesn’t match the building’s design (modern, quirky), and that it’s better to have unity in the general design. What do you (and others) think about that?

For you last question, my personal opinion is that the lamps should reflect the project design (project being the building). Think like an architect who looks at the project as a whole. I would suggest a simple modern lamp, we call them hockey puck lamps because they have dual round hockey puck shaped lamps which is pretty simple
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5071/5899457096_3ac86be4c1.jpg
or you could do something like the following which is modern with some detail

In regards to the leaves there are a few options for tricks to coloring trees:

1. In edit mode (on the leaves mesh) with face select on, unselect eveything and then go to the selection menu and then go to select random. Or you could just use the “c” brush selection tool to select random areas of leaves. Then make a new material using the origninal and assign it to those faces and then slightly adjust the color of those faces.
  2. Add another material using cloud texture using generated mapping and use the cloud color ramp to give some color and adjust the hardness of the patches of color. Your cloud texture should be fairly large and make the tree look blotchy which you can adjust to make very subtle.

Hope this helps:)

Thanks for helpful comments Derek! :slight_smile: