Are architecture walkthroughs possible in VR?

Greetings dear forum members,

I’m working as a single 3D-artist in company which plans and build fair booths. One of our costumers demands VR renderings. At the moment I provide him with spherical renderings from Cinema4D.

Because I’m convinced about blenders advantages since 2.8, I’m thinking about changing to Blender. I know that Blender can render spherical renderings with Cycles too. But our costumer wants interactive presentations in future.

For our worktime-quality-balance Eevee is visualy and speed wise perfect. Since Eevee is a realtime engine, are there tools in vanilla Blender to get a virtual walkthrough?

Or are there Add Ons or even help of a programmer necessary?

I would appriciate every tip

Thanks in advance

Cloud

My PC:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x 16x 3.50GHz (32 Threads) | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080 Super 8GB | 480GB SSD + 2TB | Win 10 Pro

Not at the moment. The game engine used to be in Blender 2.79 but was ripped out for 2.8. A new “interactive mode” will be implemented for stuff like this but it is not clear when this will happen.

There are forks of Blender like UPBGE that might be able to do this but vanilla Blender is not.

I worked on a VR project last summer and we just build the assets in Blender and Max and imported it into Unreal. Unreal is free/no royalties for these types of projects (unless it has changed).

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer. Personally I would prefer to keep it all in one program. So I would choose the Blender solution, even if it takes its time. I’m alone and very busy in the office so learning Blender and Unreal Engine wouldn’t be possible for me within one year (I have to visualize around 100 booths per year with 50- 2000 sqm size). Or is it so easy and fast to Import all the necessary assets? I testet the Cryengine a year ago. It was horrible to Import meshes, textures, etc.

Well, it is not sure when the interactive mode will be released. Might be in a year, might be in five.

Creating a walkthrough in Unreal is not very difficult as there are templates for that. Creating simple interactions is not that hard either. At the.momen I would say going the Unreal or unity way would be more reasonable.

I know you said you don’t have the time to learn Unreal Engine, @Cloud2405. However, both you and @Lumpengnom may want to take a look at Epic’s archvis variant of UE. I don’t know much about it, but it will soon be a paid-for app. If you grab it while it’s free, it stays free.

2 Likes

Do you mean Unreal studio? The way I understand it is that it no longer exists and the normal Unreal now allows projects like his for free.

See the link. It’s now called twinmotion.

2 Likes

You can render 3D 360º virtual reality from cycles. So you can make a video walk trough with cycles right now. I’m making an animation in Virtual Reality. I’ve made a test in here.

For Eevee, stereo panoramic rendering is also planed: https://developer.blender.org/T68993 but for now, as far I know, you can only do it with complicated tricks.

Ah, sorry, I was inattentive. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Haha No worries. Truth be told, Unreal Studio is what I was initially posting about. It was only when I went fishing for the link that I learned Twinmotion was a former company purchased and rebranded by Epic.

Damn, so Unreal or Unity would be one solution. Add Ons in this direction are not known? I heard about Add Ons which make it possible to model with VR. I think its called XR. Disabling the HUD and it woudl be interactive too. But the question is if the handling in the Editor is too complicated for costumers…

I think XR is more for creating stuff in VR and not so much for presenting it but I have no experience with it.

I don’t know if disabling the hud will be enough. Maybe if you can disable all buttons except for a single interaction button.

The thing with VR at fair booths is you have to dumb it down more than you’d think. Currently people are not experienced in VR and many peole at a fair will try it for the first time. And they will probably only have 5 minutes or so. A significant number will not understand that they can move their hands back and forth. Up and down or left and right is usually understood but the brain of many seems to be wired to pancake monitors, so they first have to discover depth which 5 minutes is sometimes too short.

In the booths we made in the summer we couldn’t even give the possibility to navigate other than walking around in real life. But hardly anyone walks. They usually just stand there.
Teleportation or even free roaming via joystick/pad is best left out at this moment not only due it being more likely to induce motion sickness but because it is simply way too confusing for a lot of people. The interactions have to be dumbed down increadibly as well and even then plenty of people will fail, so you need a dedicated person to help the people move on if they are stuck somewhere.
Grabbing objects via a button and dropping it via releasing the button is too complicated for example.

We are kind of in the age of VR as we were when people fell over in cinemas when a car came driving towards the screen.

No matter which way you go, if you have time please keep us updated on this as it is a very interesting subject.

I forgot to mention that the VR experience is for the Global Marketing department of our costumer. We have to set up a VR Room for them. We only will send them the data and they are ready to go.

I use Marui BlenderXR, basically a fork of Blender, for VR presentations. You can instantly switch to a VR Eevee viewport, and they have integrated some controls on your two VR controllers.
I don’t however know how to do a walkthrough with it, as the integrated navigation controls are somewhat limited: there is a sort of 3D-ball that you “throw” and then teleport there, or you can “grab” and move/rotate the scene.
You can try it out very easily and see if it meets your needs.

What is the requirement exactly?
Just walkthrough to look around or interactive. Because 360 stereo can be done with cycle. But you need to render 4k to get nice view.

The requirement is to walk trough freely. There aren’t any interactions with exhibits or objects necessary yet. At the Moment we offer the Oculus Go with spherical Images. But our customer wishes to walk around in the booth.

I had XR on my radar too. But I only need the walking function. Interactions with anything on the booth isn’t necessary right now.

Twinmotion is only for stills/flythroughs. There is no interactivety at all. It was a huge missed opportunity to not add a basic FPS controller and basic blueprints like opening doors, turning on lights, etc…

OP, if you are doing this professionally over the next few years then you should definitely look into Unreal or Unity.

I just loaded up Twinmotion 2019.6 and it’s got VR Export.
Capture_019

You have to Export a BimMotion File. That will create a .exe you can execute

You can user Blender or C4d to create the models, Animations etc. You will then import them into Unreal or twinmotion for layout and export to VR. Twin motion is easy to learn and use. A lot of the set up work is done for you. Your going to have to make sure the Client has a Computer with a good graphics card and VR set up. A lot of them seem to think they can run it on their secretaries 10 year old IBM computer.

2 Likes