Are Blender artists too isolated / isolationist?

I was kind of hoping it would not be “uncmfortable”. I find that isolation (more the mental than physical kind, though) dulls me. I think I am thinking these things because I miss feeling like the internet is a broader, more wild place. It seems to have developed more into many smaller, narrow places. Not narrowminded, of course, but the crosspolination I always liked seems to not be in vogue these days, if it ever was.

Yeah, I wasn’t talking physical uncomfortableness, more like when we create these bubbles, they are very comfortable for us. Moving away or out of them is uncomfortable and most people have a tendency to avoid that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree. And that is likely the core of my worries…

1 Like

You know, thinking more about this, being uncomfortable outside of our bubbles is mostly just an illusion. Our brains are hardwired to distrust the unknown or the contrary. We don’t know so our brains try to come up with some kind of solution to the question, unfortunately more often than not, the solution is a negative one. It’s probably a form of self preservation to help keep us safe?

As a child I had my favorite foods I would eat and everything else was bad, didn’t like it. Now that I have had more experience with foods from other countries, etc. I have found many, many foods that I like and fewer and fewer foods I dislike. :smiley:

1 Like

Precisely. It’s habit, and we’re hardwired into it. The difference between people and animals is that people are supposedly able to realize their habits and change them. But not many do. Womp woooomp…

I’ll chime in…

I’ve always been a bit of a loner. (I’m in my 60’s)

Facebook is the only way - other than family - that I communicate with people that are not like me (artists, musical folks, programmers and geeks, people who love to laugh). In other words, old friends.

art

But… I even isolate myself from old friends on Facebook because they have different social or political views than mine.

Oh well… “Give me a home, where the buffalo roam…”

2 Likes

It may be something in human nature. Look even at the language: as far as i know in english their is a word for “someone who thinks like me” or maybe also “have the same interests”: like-minded. But nothing abut the opposite.
You only look for “anti-opinion-minded” people if you wanna start a fight or harass them.

So how do you feel if some one says blender is no competitive 3D app, doesn’t follow the industry standard (and even if it’s different in game, movie or vfx or even draw/paint industry), is just a toy… so maybe those one are also in a bubble?

(And so i’m finally coming back to the original question… so we/i are/am turning in cycles. ← :face_with_hand_over_mouth: word play, pun intended… i have to stop i’m getting dizzy :crazy_face: )

Or it’s just everybodys intercommunication area where someone understands the others (bubble → safe area → comfort zone).

(Latest example for me: in another forum (yes there is another life out there) i said something about using greater margins at the UV borders and then: “i’m not sure what you mean but my pixel padding is already…”. And even if i know this technical term i used the one i see almost everday and he was also wondering ).

2 Likes

I wish this was wrong. But my experience tells me it is right…

There are a lot of words for those: “If you’re not with us, you’re… hater / fascist / homophobic / communist / support genocide / support greedy corporations / etc.”. Maybe it’s the loudest minority that makes it look like people can’t accept diversity of minds, but internet feels like a mine-field sometimes.

I fight a lot with one Steam friend about the nature of gaming preferences. Can’t get across the idea that, no, I don’t dislike a certain game, it just doesn’t quite click with me. He seems to think that I must hate something about it… or I’m being stupid :man_shrugging: In any case simply accepting that we have different opinions somehow is not an option and this topic is typically charged with negativity.

With all the talk of how we, modern society, supposed to embrace our differences we don’t seem to tolerate each other much.

1 Like

The tyranny of ‘normal’…

I guess it goes for all people as those who don’t wok in creative industries are not prone to socialize with e.g CG artists as they would have had nothing to talk about, no common ground. Instead, they hang around with their likes spending hours in (dance)clubs and so on together. Dockers with dockers, sports people with sports people… All people are secluded in this way and it is nothing unusual or to worry about. And I think 3DS Max still exists.

I highly disagree. People can have lots to talk about without being in the same field. I talk to friends about their jobs without being in their field, and I take interest in what they experience. Creative fields have plenty of potential for not just that, but for overlap or connection between fields. I can talk forever with my friend about painting miniatures, which he does but I do not, and he can talk with me about writing fiction which I do and he does not. Same goes for many others. “Jocks with jocks, nerds with nerds” is an outdated worldview, and I fear it is being harmfully used as an excuse for people to turtle up and never look outside their, increasingly limited, worlds…

1 Like

Possible as it is, it is unnatural and posed. You can only exchange standard and polite formulas such as “Oh, interesting” or “Amazing, how do they do that?”. But when you hear it don’t go into details as the person who said it has no idea what you are talking about and doesn’t want to find out. But you in the West are so much used to unnatural and posed you no longer notice it.

The “you in the West” thing is a little inflammatory and uncalled for, but let me try provide a counterpoint.

While it’s certainly possible to really “nerd off” and get into the detailed minutiae on a specific topic, that’s not what @Embassy_of_Time is talking about. There’s a common phrase of “not seeing the forest for the trees,” meaning that you can get so buried into the details of a specialization that you’re incapable of seeing the bigger picture and appreciating a solution from an outside perspective.

There’s a fine space in the middle where insight from people who aren’t in each other’s world can, if they’re actively listening to one another, provide a different view and allow for growth an improvement. Sure, as a 3D artist, you might see folks’ eyes glaze over when you start talking about monkeying around with UV coordinates or building complex animation rigs. However, there’s a lot fine conversation points with infinitely interesting things to discuss before you get to that point.

As an animator, I’ve had very detailed and interesting conversations with gymnasts (I’m not a gymnast) about body mechanics and performing for an audience. As a writer, I might cause a lot of annoyance if I get into the interesting nuances of language and grammar… but I can talk to nearly anyone about story or how amazing it is that we can convey ideas and emotions with a bunch of goofy-looking shapes lined up in rows and columns.

6 Likes

My wife has no real interest in 3d or painting and drawing, but she sometimes looks at what I am doing and makes a comment that hits the nail right on the head. Points of view from people outside of the main bubble can be just as valid.

I can talk for hours with almost anybody! I work with many people who have completely different backgrounds and and beliefs than myself and enjoy the discussions that arouse.
I often find discussions with people who do not think like me much more rewarding, not only do they introduce a different perspective they also help me to clarify, or even modify, my own thoughts.
It is good to at least try to understand why other people think differently.

We do all have one thing in common, we are human! ( I also talk to animals :slightly_smiling_face:)

5 Likes

1000% this- I always ask my wife for critique on every step of a 3D artwork. She’s always able to see something I completely missed, and she’s (unlike friends or acquaintances) willing to tell me when something looks bad :sweat_smile: I’ve also learned a lot from her about hair, makeup, and anatomy. I thought I understood how to do hair and makeup on a 3D character before I met her- my understanding is completely different now, and significantly better.

I think everyone around us has something to contribute to our art. Even the most non-artistic person you can imagine has a unique perspective that can help you somehow

5 Likes

…but do they talk back?

2 Likes

I feel so, so sad for you, if this is actually what you believe and how you see the world. I am NOT known for “polite formulas”, quite the opposite. But for Christ’s sake, I can take an interest in other people! And even if I sometimes blabber on, I can engage people in talks about travel, fiction, science, history and many of my other topics of interest. Hell, as a school teacher, I’ve actually had students wanting to be on time, WILLINGLY! I like to think it is because I can make things sound interesting, and because I can listen to people who are very different from me.

And the “you in the West” thing is just… Seriously? Do you even know where people are from in here? It just comes off as very dim and a bit racist, to be honest. Maybe that is why people listening to you feels like a weird thought to you, actually. No insult intended, but if you view people like that, very few will want to talk to you beyond shallow courtesy.

1 Like

:question: :astonished:

Of course it is possible to meet people who aren’t interested in your talk and talk very much theirself. Then i usually say: “That may be so. But i have to go.” and go… and next time i meet them i greet them but don’t stop but walk along.

So talking about bubbles and isolation: this one lives in a bubble and does isolate himself if some breaks the barrier :wink:

What?
So there are only thoseone who are just talk without thinking or noticing that nobody is interested and the thoseones who …?.. just don’t talk at all ?? (or what???)

I maybe do not understand this or you are a pessimist / grumbler / bubble builder ? :interrobang:

1 Like

Second reminder to stay on topic.

1 Like