Are Blender artists too isolated / isolationist?

So maybe everything is said… last possibility to make a poll out of if ?? But then again only BlenderArtists would vote :wink: :thinking: :worried: :face_holding_back_tears: :cry:… back to Blender :laughing:

1 Like

Well, I am still tinkering with ways to maybe make it easier to break out of the ‘isolation’. The question is, do people WANT to peek outside their Blender or similar bubble…? I honestly don’t know, one way or the other!

In the words of my high school chemistry teacher, “Some do. Some don’t. Some will. Some won’t. And I might.”

He was talking about the propensity for different molecules to react to one another and he was kind of creepy in the way he said it, but in this case, I think it applies. The fact is that some people are perfectly content and function just fine in their own silo. Some folks want to be exposed to a wide variety of things and then potentially bring that experience home. Neither is really better than the other, but I know which of those two describes me.

2 Likes

Stop teasing :stuck_out_tongue: Which is you?!

1 Like

Ups the voices in my heads starts singing: Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)

2 Likes

Aaaand now it’s stuck in my head, too. Thanks!

Did you try that with an underpaid father/mother of three schoolkids who has a nasty boss and a bank loan due? As Blender doesn’t isolate me and I do other things as well, some people will never be interested even in CG basics for obvious reasons. Just as you may not be able to understand and take interest in their problems. C’est la vie.

Focus you must!

Yes. Yes, I did.
Edit: Sorry, I can’t say if any of them had a nasty boss, I don’t talk about bosses much, tends to end in negativity. But that is beyond the scope of this thread, so as the man said, I must stay on target…

People often don’t KNOW what they want until they try it out. They’ll be inclined to stay in the comfort zone (and yes, just because it’s called “comfort” zone doesn’t mean it’s comfortable in a good sense of the word).
Sometimes it’s better to throw new things at them! (or things so old they might as well be new) …as long as they don’t explode.

That may be true, but I’m sure it’s something they should decide for themselves. Would be arrogant and unfair otherwise. “Oh, he’s a single father slaving away on a bad job, what possible interest could he have in [history of FTL drives in fiction]. Better not talk to him about anything remotely interesting lest he forgets about all those unpaid bills!”
Self-inflicted isolation is bad enough as it is.

3 Likes

The best way to get people to cooperate/collaborate is to pay them to do so. Think entertainment industry. Hive of collaboration.

I feel your thoughts have a core question: should we look to mingle with others outside our immediate circles? I say yes.

I feel that, generally, we tend to look for others like us: those with similar interests, etc. It not only allows for a common ground during discussions, but it allows for more acceptance. It’s a place of comfort and familiarity. On this basis, I don’t think it’s necessarily bad for fellow Blender users to eventually only interact with other Blender users, and for the likes of Maya and 3DS Max, etc. In fact, I feel it’s natural and inevitable.

However, I would say that restricting ourselves to a closed network of like-minded people restricts one’s scope of general development and learning, and we should therefore “open our gates” to the possibility that we can learn from each other - no matter how small or insignificant it may seem at the time.

So, even though we may naturally converge by interest and common goals, etc, it is also important to remain mindful of the value other people’s perspectives can give to us. If you feel you’re missing out by only speaking with other Blender folk, then certainly open up a dialogue with people who use other technologies.

If we only surround ourselves with like-minded people, then we will only receive what we have already thought of. Yet, if we surround ourselves with those who think differently, they can challenge and - dare I say - inspire us to places we may never have imagined.

2 Likes

Actually they do, the problem is that sometimes I do not understand what they are trying to say.

To understand them you have to enter their “mindset” and not listen for words but seek other means of communication visual and emotional.

Which is a good reason to turn off the computer sometimes (or leave it rendering for hours on end) and physically interact with the world.

Back into focus:

yes I would be interested in taking a peek. I have even been known to spy on Maya forums!

1 Like

This reminds of football fans whose sole interest is their club and others are, at best, ignored. Or surgeons who won’t talk to ophtalmists. Likewise, contacting Maya, C4D etc. users is just making the bubble bigger as you’re still within CG! Such bubbles can be enlarged but to an extent or they break in the end. And guess nobody wants it or e.g. Facebook wouldn’t have been so popular. And that’s my point. In Poland we say: syty głodnego nie zrozumie as kto doznał, ten poznał. They mean that only being in other people’s shoes, at least for a time, can help you understand them and get their interest. Or arise yours. Anyway, go beyond polite small talk.

2 Likes

Being trapped in a filter bubble, reality bubble, echo chamber or alleged “comfort zone” is not a good thing. Most people don’t even realize they are in one of those.
From a psychological, cultural and biological viewpoint, it is detrimental for a human being.
Everything that stays the same and doesn’t change and adapts to the conditions around it becomes stiff and slow and eventually dies.
It easily leads to self-reinforcing perception biases, decline in critical thinking, Illusory affirmations (circle jerks) and uncritical acceptance of or conformity to a perceived majority view. (The majority in any group is more often then not wrong!).

Bruce Lee said it best: “be formless like water.”
That includes you affiliation with anything - you can be a member of any group, bubble, chamber, club , church or cult, but don’t let that define you and don’t let that blind and bind you.
Most important don’t let other people do that to you.
You’re not the vessel, you’re the essence that fills the vessel.
From a spiritual perspective its best to not perceive yourself as something defined and separated from everything, but rather as the whole process - the only constant in the whole universe is change.
So be that.

2 Likes

To get out of the Blender bubble I like to do searches on the internet, like “Blender reviews” or even “Blender vs …” I usually limit the search to the last year, opinions from 10 years ago are very different from those of today. Yeah there is a lot of dross you need to filter out, but it keeps my perspective more grounded in reality. And I get to keep up on what people are doing with Blender and other DCCs.

I have never had the desire to move to another DCC, Blender’s issues are still far less than it’s usefulness. Just speaking as a hobbyist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a new Blender user, I don’t know whether there is anything specific about Blender artists that makes them particularly prone to live in their own little bubble. But I very seriously doubt it. IME special interest bubbles are common the world over (and I’ve been around the block a few times). That’s by no means restricted to artistic interests – no matter which human endeavour you dive into, you will find large communities of people interested in the same thing, and they develop best practices, their own jargon, and they teach each other.

Are those bubbles a bad thing per se? Heck, no. They’re great, and I love the internet for (among other things) allowing people with rare interests to much more easily find kindred spirits. There is a qualitative difference between talking with a person who knows, deeply, what you are talking about, and talking to somebody who has no idea. Even if the latter is interested and listens intelligently, there are limits to how useful that conversation can be. I don’t mind talking to lay people about my interests, but for the most part they’re not actually interested past superficial smalltalk. I have no time for smalltalk, there is too much to learn that I am genuinely interested in; I really rather listen to them talk about something they’re enthusiastic about. And I get more opinions from the uninformed than I ever need just from reading news. That is valuable input in other areas such as politics, but it’s pretty worthless when it comes to 3D modeling.

Bubbles are IMO only bad if they end up constraining you to a certain worldview and a narrow subject domain. If you stagnate in any important aspect of life that adds to developing and maintaining a healthy mind, that’s harmful. But I don’t see how that would apply to Blender artists as a whole. It certainly doesn’t apply to any other CG artists as a whole (I worked in the industry as a programmer/analyst before retiring). If anything, I feel CG artists have more feelers out in the world at large than many people whose hobbies don’t require as much research into completely different aspects of human endeavour. I can’t say gardening has taught me as much in general as my 3D enthusiasm – architecture, anatomy, graphic design, fine arts, physics, psychology… I despair that I don’t have more time for it all; who does?

And that’s another important factor: time. We only have so much of it, and way too much is spent on making a living, which sadly most people don’t even enjoy. It takes tens of thousands of hours to become really good at something. The older I get the more I am aware of how precious time is. If you want to work cross-discipline, by all means, go for it. Don’t waste time on imaginary fears; that’ll hold you back more than anything else. You won’t be stopped by everyone being in their own bubbles – they are, but there are more than 7 BILLION people, some of their bubbles overlap yours.You are lucky that you live in the internet era.

4 Likes

A quick note: Since the thread seems to be positively received, I went ahead and got me a domain for some practical work towards connecting various creative communities. I hope that the conversation can connect with others that are not going to come to BlenderArtists. I am not shutting this thread down, though, and I will link to it over there. I just feel that pulling people with no 3D background into this forum would unbalance things. Anyway, it’s at Creative Crossover (very barebones for now). I hope to soon extend a hand to other communities.

Edit: I threw caution to the wind and posted the same debate on deviantArt and GameDev, both of which I used to frequent. If you are members there, feel free to say hello!

5 Likes

So… I went ahead and did something crazy.

In an effort to ‘test’ how okay BA folk are with reaching out to other creative communities, I have created a rather weird challenge in the challenge forum. I have zero idea what I am doing, but I hope that the weirdness of it can motivate some people, nonetheless…

well the answer is in the middle from my pov blender itself has isolated parts example the sculpting part of blender gets very few attention from the addon community and dont even get me started on texturing and the blender community from my pov must think outside of the box instead relying on ideas from the inside .

also blender artist are quite stubborn in some cases seriously the community should push for better nurbs in blender and for the addition of t splines and breps in blender and parametric solid cad modeling instead of focusing on useless features like 2d and video editing though blender 2d is good companies will still use moho or toon boom its better for blender to concentrate on cad instead of 2d blender mesh modeling is great if cad like features are added like parametric modeling and other modeling formats like splines and breps then we will see engineers switch to blender due to variety of options and tools also ease of use which will lead to a drop in autodesk income(autodesks main income is cad not maya or max) .

as a blender artist who has tried zbrush i can say blender is catching close to zbrush but it still needs basic tools like primitive brushs, sculpt layers and vdms ( also i didnt mention the 3d stamp tool because thats a zbrush only feature not a basic feature . adding a 3d stamp tool to sculpting in blender may lead to legal disputes) to be honest the blender bubble needs holes in it so people can see blenders problems and demand fixes so this great software could stay on the right path to be industry standard or higher

1 Like