Are my models safe?

I know that under the GPL I have to release my source code and that anybody downloading my game has access to the source code and can redistribute it freely. However do I still have rights over my models, even though they are bundled with blender player. Quake for instance, it is open source and under the GPL, but the models/textures/sounds aren’t. Thus making it illegal to reproduce and distribute a copy of quake.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/gpl-for-artists/

That´s supposed to mean what?
“I know but don´t understand it” ?
“Thanks” ?
“I don´t want to read it” ?

The first option.

The only way to truly keep them safe is to never release them.

My precious…

If you don’t want your content to be GPL, keep it separate from the game engine.

“Disclaimer: This document is no substitute for legal advice and just represents a subset of possible interpretations of the law and the GPL. For a more complete FAQ please refer to www.gnu.org or www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

you need to talk to an attorney if you’re that worry. but the simple answer is – no your models are not safe.

but more importantly your models aren’t worth much so you needn’t worry. it’s not like your models are being used for a pixar film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft --“to offer the right to distribute copies and modified versions of a work and requiring that the same rights be preserved in modified versions of the work.” “copyleft is a general method for making a program (or other work) free (libre), and requiring all modified and extended versions of the program to be free as well”

GPL is a license to PROTECT & PROGRESSES FREEDOM

this is NOT what YOU want since you want OWNERSHIP. you should be using a commercial product.

your question is also BAD. it should be “are my models legally protected from reproduction and distribution” and the answer is clear – no. but much much more importantly, they’re worth much. Freedom is.

@rm2dance - you are absolutely incorrect. From the Blender FAQ:

Can I sell my Blender creations?

Anything you create with Blender - whether it’s graphics, movies, scripts, exported 3d files or the .blend files themselves - is your sole property, and can be licensed or sold under any conditions you prefer.

Basically: If you made it, it is yours. Do whatever you want with it. Encrypt it, distribute it, license, do whatever the hell you want with it.
If you didn’t make it, don’t do that stuff.

(And on a side note, the Blender Foundation wouldn’t give 2 s**ts if you encrypted the Blender player…honestly why would they care it is not like you are making them lose money…)