Ares face-test: Blender + photoshop

This is not really a finished project (not even totally 3D), but sort of a test I was trying out.

I wanted to see how far I can bring a rendered Blenderpiece with Photoshop. So a little more then just postprocessing.

It’s supposed to be my version of the Greek wargod Ares.

It was a quick test (maybe that’s supposed to be with tests :-? ), but I’m happy with the result (even though I could do a lot more to improve it). Blender and Photoshop can be a powerfull combination.

I’ve tried some UV-mapping lately (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t), and it’s nice to know I still have other options…

… wel, as long as I don’t want to animate it. :smiley:

Oh yeah :smiley: where’s the rest of his face? Looking good anyway

How do you do the veins on the eyeball, I’m looking for an easy way :wink: to do veins in gimp.

wow really nice… how did you made thos hairs?

what about blender and gimp :smiley: thats my best combination. but anyway can’t wait to u build a full human head :smiley: really cool this one

Wow! Professional work. I would like to see the rest of his face though…

Oh yeah :smiley: where’s the rest of his face?

well, not there yet. I’ll finish the face in a later time.

How do you do the veins on the eyeball, I’m looking for an easy way :wink: to do veins in gimp.

Their just a couple of thin red lines with a smooth Outer Bevel as layer style. I’m not sure if gimp can do that, but it’s really an easy way. The layer with the veins was set to multiple.

wow really nice… how did you made thos hairs?

Thanks. I used a custom made brush (group of 5-8 tiny dots) and started painting on a layer (set to multiple). First some nice brown color, later some white. Gave this layer a nice blurred Drop Shadow (layerstyle). This layer was duplicated and blurred pretty much.
There are many ways to make nice hair, but it helps when you use the right brush and layer styles, things like duplicate layer and blur, and set most of your layers to multiple. It can be really fast.

what about blender and gimp :smiley: thats my best combination.

Dont know, never used Gimp. :slight_smile: If you can use layer styles like Bevel and Drop Shadow with it, I’m sure it’s a good program.

BTW, the final step was the colorcorrection, using Curves in Photoshop. Very important step! A little similar to color ramps I think.

Sago

Excellent post pro and painting in PS. The hair looks great.

BgDM

That’s awesome! Texturing and modelling both look perfect. You just keep making better works! Keep goin’! Give me more. MORE!! :smiley:

VERY VERY PRO WORK !!!

i’m waiting to see the rest of the face.

very cool eye brows (sorry i forgot that word) and scar…

show the rest, and i’m very interested how the hairs will look like…

BLEND ON ! :smiley:

LOL, I thought you had misspelled arse-face. When I loaded the image, I was almost certain based on the shape.

That looks absolutely excellent work Sago. It’s a shame you can’t automate the post-process for animations easily. What you could try is painting what you’ve done onto a UVmap(s) instead of the render. It might have to be higher res to avoid stretching if there are any deformations.

That looks like the kind of work I’ve seen on the Jak and Daxter boxes. Very nice indeed.

LOL, I thought you had misspelled arse-face. When I loaded the image, I was almost certain based on the shape.

I guess we all see things differently… :smiley:

What you could try is painting what you’ve done onto a UVmap(s) instead of the render.

Yeah, in the future I will try to use UV-mapping the best I can. Photoshop will always be used. But the question is when.

Sago

It’s not so much his face is shaped like an arse, more like it looks like his face is being squeezed out of one. No wonder he’s p*ssed ;).

UV mapping isn’t actually all that tricky if you use the LSCM tools. Just go into UVfaceSelect mode and select all the faces. Now hit the u key and select LSCM. Go to your UV editor and see what you get.

If it’s all over the place, mark seams around the objects you want to isolate - possibly the nose from the rest of the face. This doesn’t affect the geometry. Just select an edge or edges and do ctr-e mark seam. It’s a good idea to show seams.

Just keep marking seams until you get a good clean shape in the UV editor. Then export the UVmap and paint. Just make sure not to UV map again. Once you paint in a layer over this wireframe, save the image and open it as the texture for the UV map.

Also, when rendering, make sure to set the model to use the UV map coordinates in the map to section instead of orco.

If you haven’t done UV mapping, start with a cube. For me, I got the best results marking all the edges and doing LSCM. The best way to learn is to just dive in and mess around.

osxrules:
like I said in the first post, I’ve already tried some UV-mapping. So most of what you said I’ve done before. :expressionless:

My first real UV-mapping (after some silly tests) was for my ‘Loyal Servant’ (WC 127). I gave it 1 seam in the middle of the face and the LSCM worked like a charme.

Other times it doesn’t work that great, it depends on the complexity of the mesh. So I will surely use your advice about marking seams till I get the result I need.

Thanks,
Sago