Arhitectural rendering

Hi everyone,
YafRay doesn’t work on my PC for some reason and I have to make a couple of photorealistic architectural renderings by Friday for a presentation. So I thought of using Blender’s internal renderer to do the job.
I hope to get some c&c concerning the lighting and the whole scene.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

This is quite good, I would think it adequate :slight_smile:
You could dirty the pavement a little, and the roof looks like it could be mapped better…

try using luxrender

Thank you a lot for your replies :slight_smile:
I’ve mapped the roof better and I’ve used a dirtier texture for the path.
Now I’m rendering it in LuxRender and I’ll upload the image when its done.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Ok so here are 2 renders. The second one hasn’t finished yet.
The first one is too bright so I won’t keep it.
I fount a way to export grass to LuxRender and I also used an Environment map for the sky ( the second image ).

Any c&c are welcome :slight_smile:

Attachments

are you sure your monitors calibrated, because the first looks quite dark to me (the one like 3posts up) and the first of the two above this looks kinda nice and not that bright when you click on it and see the actual image?

I agree with charliemcf comment about checking your monitor calibration because the first one (of the two above) looks barely bright enough for a sunny day on my monitor.

Something is making the image just a bit off… maybe give the bricks some more definition and maybe make the grass look a little more realistic.

the windows seem a little overly reflective, the original one you did was reflective but darker which gave more depth, unless they’re suppose to be tinted windows

Before you even get to the rendering stage you need to go back and look over your texture mapping, the scaling of a lot of your textures is off by quite a bit. I don’t know whether or not you have used UV mapping but for realistic scenes it’s probably a must.
The house model itself looks quite good, the repetition of the one plant underneath the windows is not good. Also, the grass itself needs quite a bit of work, if your using the internal renderer there are many tutorials, I don’t believe Lux supports particles but I believe it may support object instancing which is the method I use to create grass in Indigo (another unbiased renderer), that should work.

With regards to the rendering, the material/shader values of all of your surfaces need a bit of tweaking, I don’t use Lux but I’m sure someone on the Lux forum will share the basic values of stone, grass wood etc that you need. You’ll also need hints on the correct lighting setup for an exterior scene.

Friday is a very close deadline, goodluck.

Thanks everyone for your c&c I appreciate it very much :slight_smile:
So here’s the next render. I’ve changed the lighting and the materials a bit and I’ve also fixed the grass.
I haven’t fount anywhere information about wood and stone materials for the LuxRender so I guess I’m on my own on this one until tomorrow.
I’ll make a few more changes to the materials, I’ll add some different vegetation for variety and I’ll do the final render.
This is the first time I try to render something in a way that looks good (until now I was only modeling and texturing), but I like the whole rendering part so I’ll start learning how to do that the right way. After the presentation I’ll continue working on the scene until I get it right, so I can learn :slight_smile:

Here’s what I got so far.

Attachments

looks a lot better.

Clean and nice!

Well I can tell you some value ranges that I use in Indigo I’m sure they’re not that different in Lux. Phong materials using the high exponent range will enable you to recreate a lot of varying materials. For brick/ concrete/ stone I use a phong material with low IOR, 1.1 or slightly higher with a low exponent also, say 45-55.
Wood, also phong, IOR 1.34 -1.36 depending on the finish of the wood exponent between 250 - 400 higher values more varnished wood. Grass, similar IOR very low exponent 6 - 8. Remember those are Indigo renderer values.

For realism, every material you use should at least have a colour map, bump map and specularity map

Try any particle grass tutorial, only do a much small patch. under modifier tab convert to mesh object. This will create a lot of grass blade edges, to make actual blades of grass go to edit mode, select all and in top view looking down extrude out to get the correct thickness. Duplicate this little patch of grass using Alt - d as opposed to Shift- d and fill out the areas where you want it. The other alternative is to use a tileable photographic grass texture (with bump and spec maps).

The last render is quite a bit better, lighting is very good.

The environment map you are using is all sky, with the reflections in the window and background it kinda makes it look like the house is floating like in pixar’s Up. An env map with a strip of land might be an improvement. The drive way brick texture is also still a little bit to large.

Hope some of that helps, I think you’ll get a good result by tomorrow.

A minor detail: I think the two beds of shrubs should have a mulch texture instead of grass. After all, how would one mow it–scissors?

Well I had to give it a try the way it was because I had to let it cook for at least 4 hours to get a not so grainy result. Fortunately everyone was happy with the rendering but I’ll keep improving it.
Thank you for the info on the materials, I’ll set those values to LuxRender and see how it comes up. The materials I used till now for the walls and wood was Oren-Nayar Blinn.
This is what I gave for presentation.

Attachments

That looks great for a presentation, I bet everyone was impressed!

Thank you :slight_smile:

I think I’ve fount out 2 very important faults on the material concerning the bump mapping that I didn’t know of.

1. In LuxRender bump depth is translated into meters and the default value for that was 1. Thats 1 meter worth of bump :eek:
  2. LuxRender does not support normal maps and I were using tangent-space normal maps for most of the materials.

Anyway, now I’ve made new ones with the values seanser said (Thanks seanser!) and fixed the bumpmapping.
Now they look much more realistic. Here’s some renders of the materials, they are grainy but you can tell the difference.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Attachments

The render looks a bit too saturated and high contrast to me. Do you apply any tone mapping or gamma correction to your final render?

No I didn’t actually. This is exactly how it rendered.