This little arm-rig experiment is an attempt to make arm deformations work better, particularly around the shoulder and forearm areas. The point of this experiment isn’t to improve on interface, only deformations (in fact, I haven’t put in any interface stuff at all, it’s just straight FK).
Load up the file and hit alt-a to play through the poses I put it in.
The trick of this setup is the bones on the second armature layer. Feel free to rip it apart. It’s a pretty simple idea, and I’m sure I’m not the first one to think of it, but it works pretty well so I figured it post it here. The technique used for the upper-arm in this should also work well for deformations of the upper-leg, though I haven’t tried that yet.
This particular version doesn’t work for scaling the arms (i.e. stretching), but extending it to work for that should be pretty straight-forward.